Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » UPS for Processors, Scaler, and BluRay player?

Author Topic: UPS for Processors, Scaler, and BluRay player?
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2013 07:49 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Due to some network component replacement on the main IT network in our building I have obtained a UPS that is no longer needed.

Its a APC Smart 450 with a 2 month old battery in it. 1u rackmount, 280w total output capacity.

I was wondering if it could be used, without problem to power the Sound processors, Scaler and BluRay player in our DCinema rack. Not really for the UPS function, but more for the practical way to turn all three on and off and for the high quality mains filtering. All three devices use a total of less than 80w combined so capacity isn't a problem.

I know it will power them without issue, but im just worried about the "stepped sinewave approximation" screwing with the CP750 in some way and affecting sound quality.

Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-10-2013 08:43 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should not be a problem at all. The CP-750 (and CP650 and 500) all use computer style switching power supplies and will not be bothered by the stepped sine wave.

I have even run a CP-65 off of the same UPS with no ill effects and it has a conventional transformer-based power supply.

Go for it.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2013 08:45 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great. Thanks tony [thumbsup]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-10-2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: