Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 'E.T' DCP audio question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 'E.T' DCP audio question
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2013 10:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the current DCP of 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial' from Universal the original 5.1 theatrical mix, or the new 7.1 remix done for the bluray release?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2013 10:56 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We screened this a few months ago, it was 5.1

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2013 11:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ thanks.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-29-2013 11:34 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the DCP the original 1982 version or the 2002 edition?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2013 06:24 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one we ran last year was the 1982 version.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-22-2015 03:48 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 722 days since the last post.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFI Silver is playing a week long engagement of this - which I saw today at noon - and oh boy the PQ was great, but the dialogue was terrible; very sibilant and echo-y with the voices bleeding into the left center speaker - it was insanely distracting

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it was 7.1 too! I wonder if they took it right from a home-theatre mix.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-22-2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad they screwed up the mix. A long time friend of mine received his first Oscar for working on the re-recording of ET.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2015 10:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
honestly the bluray sounded better than what I heard today - very disappointing, since the DCP of 'The Dark Crystal' (that I saw last week) was an utter surprise in terms of both sound and image. I wonder who did 'that' DCP transfer - Sony?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-23-2015 04:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we ran the DCP back in 2013 it was the 5.1 mix and sounded amazing. Maybe it was re-done since then. If so, that's a shame.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal needs to step up to the game - Sony is doing a lot of 4K restorations and encoding them as such on DCP. Universal is more spotty - a 4K DCP here and there: 'Spartacus', 'Apollo 13'. What was interesting about the mix, while the whoosh of the escaping spaceship flew towards the screen and directly behind you as on the bluray edition - that was a surprise; it however did not mirror the mixing of the music into the surrounds at the very end where John William's score literally wraps around to stunning majestic fashion - it was a very hit and miss mixing of the new 7.1 sound elements - how could Universal so epically eff this up?

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-23-2015 07:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the file name they have:

ET-EXTRATERRES_FTR-71_F_EN-XX_US-PG_71_2K_UP_20120706_UDS_VF

This one was mastered in 2012 and it was 2K.

One thing I'd ask is if you were sitting on centerline. In Silver 1 (Historic theatre), due to the Art-Deco features, it can have a nasty set of acoustic reflections if you are sitting on the lateral center line of the room. It is affectionately known as the Deco Echo. Move over one or two seats and it is completely gone.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2015 07:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well thanks Steve - that's very helpful to know. So does that also explain why I was hearing the sound specifically the dialogue bleeding and moving into the immediate left speaker. Maybe with UHD releases next year - some of the studios can not only remaster the blurays to 4K but also the DCP's.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-24-2015 12:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are on dead center...all bets are off. That curved front end combined with curved features in the rear just create strange effects. Mono movies will appear to have surrounds (you'd like it). In general, dead center of any room is a bad place to be...you'll get standing waves and such. That is why the reference mic in any tuning is always offset. In that room, it is particularly pronounced. I can't say what you were hearing having not heard it myself. Given that the Left and Center channels are on completely different wires in the DCP it would be near impossible for it to electrically have been mixed short of some odd DSP failure mixing them in the processor. The DCP signal path is about as straight as it gets at the AFI. When we added the modern DCinema machines a couple of years ago, we made the decision to not encumber the DCinema signal path with the legacy of film and broadcast video but to instead have DCinema audio stay digital and come in right at the crossover/monitor area so it gets a straight shot to the amps. It is the legacy stuff that now is now switched in/out of the system but really not any more processing. One crossover monitor was exchanged for another but the current one can handle the DCP audio directly. Having heard the audio in all three theatres myself, I can say that the sound has not degraded any and if anything has gotten a smidge better. In order to make any real impact in theatre #1 compromises with the Art Deco and historic nature of it would need to be made to get the acoustics in order and the other thing would be changing the stage channels...they are not my favorite but we didn't do the design. That said, it can sound pretty good in those rooms. I personally like seeing movies in Silver 2 the best.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: