Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi serial port automation

Author Topic: Doremi serial port automation
James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2013 09:41 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to get the Doremi serial automation working and so far haven't had much luck.

I have an external box that I am trying to control that uses 5 bytes for each control signal. I've connected this box to a regular PC via serial and was able to successfully send command to it so I know that it works.

I then connected it up to the Doremi 2K4 serial port. I created a new device in the Device Manager for it with the proper transmission parameters. Next I tried to create a Macro to send some commands to it.

The first problem that I encountered was that the Doremi macro editor only seems to be able to specify data in ASCII or binary. The control command that I have are specified in hex. Is there way to input hex characters in the marco editor using the Raw Send Message feature? I've tried converting the hex to binary which should work but it didn't produce any response from the device.

I might have been able to figure it out better if I could see responses from the serial port on the Doremi. I couldn't even tell if it was receiving anything I sent it. When running a macro I could find no way to see the response from the external device?

Does anyone know if its possible to specify the bytes sent in a Raw Send Message on a Doremi in hex? Also is there anyway to monitor the data being sent back from a connected serial device for debugging purposes?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-04-2013 04:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you try a nullmodem connection to a PC in order to check wether and what the Doremi sends out?

- Carsten

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2013 02:45 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

Like Carsten said you can hook up some PC/laptop to the other side of cable and then watch what is going on with transmission.

But (there is one but always) there is not way AFAIK to check receiving part from transmitter because this is a nature of serial communication. It's a one way/simplex since it is created.

For your other question how to send hex data over doremi's serial port i will come back later after i check some manuals. I'm sure it is possible because we are using it in our cinema (i forgot how i did it - one year earlier).

BR Alex

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 07:56 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that "binary" is actually hex: you don't enter 00101101001101010010, you enter a hex string.

James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2013 08:51 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I did as Aleksandar suggested and hooked up a null modem so that I could see what was actually being sent. As Dave suggested the 'Binary' input is in fact hexadecimal. Doremi might want to improve their UI wording :-)

Anyway working now. Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: