Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Light Meter, good, nice & cheap

Author Topic: Light Meter, good, nice & cheap
Isaac Gonzalez
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Isaac Gonzalez   Email Isaac Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone in the forum

I'm checking for light meters movie screens, conosco some professionals like Harkness, PhotoResearch, USL these are professional and technical use.

I need a light meter that you can review these ranges, for consultation, and not as a professional measurement calibration.

can anyone recommend me any?

I reviewed Sekonik, Extech, BlueMetric, can you recommend others?

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USL LSS-100 might be of interest. Info is here. One is online at web.

Harold

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-03-2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the Sekonic was the shutter: did not work with 35mm. It may work well with Digital though.

I heard of an accurate light metre from... TLS I think. Good price and accurate. If you're only looking for light measurement it may work well for you.

It may be this this

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-03-2013 03:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Spectra SC-600. Got it used at a good price and paid something like $200 to have it calibrated (which is supposed to be done every year). The other one that is common is the Minolta LS-100. Spectra can calibrate these, too.

Having a light meter will significantly improve the results of lamp alignment, and will also speed the process.

Unfortunately, this is less of an issue with digital. For [dlp] you really want some way to measure the color of the image, not just the brightness. The unit that everyone likes is the PR-655 from Photo Research. Sit down before you look at the price (in the $16k ballpark, last I checked). Not sure on the calibration price.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 05:03 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you only need a simple tool just for measuring foot-lamberts, Harkness’s Digital Screen Checker is an affordable option.

Edit: Ah, it seems to be the exact same meter as the one Marco just mentioned... just different branding.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-09-2013 03:54 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's only the light level you're looking for, you could ask your engineer to recalibrate the lamp files every year when you're servicing the projector, it should not drift too much.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: