Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Roll Bars During Pre Show

Author Topic: Roll Bars During Pre Show
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-28-2013 08:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to the AMC (formerly Rave) Festival Plaza to see Iron Man. While they continue the Rave tradition of dim projection, and this is the first commercial theatre showing where I've ever felt like asking them to raise the volume, the most annoying thing was during the pre-show advertising-a-thon (even more annoying than the advertising--at least 3 ads for television shows!).

All through the pre-show, which appeared to be presented in 720, there were bars rolling up the screen. They weren't black bars, like on old TV's but regularly space "clear" bars, as if they were embossed on the image.

What were these, what caused them and how can I avoid them when we get digital?

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2013 09:09 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like hum bars. They might be using analog video and have a ground loop.

Harold

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2013 11:29 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely sounds like a video-ground-loop problem as Harold said.
quote: Martin McCaffery
how can I avoid them when we get digital
You should not have any problem when playing back digital content from your server,
but hum-bars sometimes occur when interfacing analog equipment. (BluRay, DVD, etc)

Most common way to fix it is to buy a "video-humbucker" box. They come in both active
(opto-isolated) and transformer coupled versions, and sell for abt $50-$200 depending
on type & quality. It's a good device to have on hand anyway. I have a semi-professional
one with both RCA and BNC video connectors on it that I keep in my "bag of tricks".

It cost me about $150(us), and is worth every penny. It has more than paid for
itself by saving time, labor & head-banging when trying to track down vexing video
ground loop problems while attempting to interface 'outside' equipment into our system.

Since one of the facilities I work at is often used for corporate events, I've often
got to hook "client provided" equipment into our system, so I've even got a
"VGA Isolator" - which has cured a lot of problems when connecting up a client's
computer to the system over a long cable for their power-point presentations, etc.

Depending on the nature of your business and how much 'interconnecting' you'll
be doing, you may or may not need any of this. But I've found the extra
equpment to be a good investment in my particular projection situation.

"I'm just sayin'......

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-29-2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will be much interconnecting in our future. Thanks for the info and tips.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-29-2013 08:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
All through the pre-show, which appeared to be presented in 720
Highly doubtful. Probably 480p.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-31-2013 08:01 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whichever, looked like crap. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: