Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Serial to Ethernet bridge for automation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Serial to Ethernet bridge for automation
James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2013 04:26 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I continue to automate things at our small community theater. I am currently using our Doremi DCP-2K4 to control our Dolby CP640 and Christie projector. I have a couple others pieces of equipment such as a Blu-ray player that I would like to be able to send commands to from the DCP-2K4 but they only have serial ports.

Is there a reliable serial to ethernet box that I can connect to the network and send commands to the RS232 ports via TCP?

I know there are full on automation systems such as the eCNA-5 or a JNIOR but they seem like overkill for my needs?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 05:07 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These sort of vevices are very common and widely available. There are many versions, single or multiple ports, different serial standards, RS-232, 422, 485 etc. A single port one would typically be about three inches square by less than one inch thick, and have an external power supply.

I couldn't recommend a model, or supplier, in your part of the world, but you shouldn't have any difficulty finding one.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-24-2013 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lantronix is your friend. It absolutely works out of the box with very minimal configuration.

Not only that, they have a nifty software that will give your computer a virtual COM port so you can use a control program that only works serially to talk to the device via Ethernet.

Search on the Lantronix UDS1100

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2013 10:06 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not solving the Ethernet to rs232 issue, but a solution to the opposite problem (rs232 to Ethernet), the next firmware version for the USL JSD-60 includes a tcp_send command. I'm using it to have a Dolby DSS-200 drive an LSS-100. See it here .

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-25-2013 05:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lantronix does both ways or...two of them will allow long-distance RS232 by using Ethernet between them. You could take the JSD80 that only has RS232 (later units have USB and Ethernet) and give it an Ethernet port.

I'm guessing you are trying to use the RS232 port of the DSS200 so a "test show" is set up and changes signals and then issues various commands via RS232 to change modes on the device? I guess, in a sense, we do that via the automation we use (eCNA) already since it will take in RS232 and also communicate with up to 5 Ethernet devices.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2013 09:34 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are pretty close on what I'm doing with the JSD-60 and LSS-100. The jsd command might be this (as entered on the DSS-200):

jSd60.sys.tcp_send\09192\09168\091\09123\0910001\09lss100.sys.capture\\tspl\\tSPL Center Mid\\t80.1\\t82.5\\r

This tells the jsd to send to 192.168.1.123:10001 the command that tells the lss to capture the current SPL, call it SPL Center Mid, and make the log entry red if not between 80.1 and 82.5.

Because the jsd sets up the tcp connection for each command, the number of Ethernet devices it talks to is unlimited.

I am sorry for taking this off topic. I just wrote the jsd rs232 to Ethernet code and the lss capture code. The jsd code is somewhat related to the original post!

Harold

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a Doremi controlling serial devices, why bother going via ethernet? The Doremi has one serial port as it's built, and you can add USB to serial convertors if you need more.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2013 01:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
With a Doremi controlling serial devices, why bother going via ethernet?
The two usual reasons probably wouldn't apply in this situation:

1. To control devices over a greater distance.

2. To control lots of devices without needing lots of wires.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally like the idea of controlling everything over Ethernet for the hardware simplicity of it. But, the discussion HAS raised a point I had not thought of. Do servers in general let you define macros for "Virtual Comm Ports" that are USB to RS232 adapters? Do the servers have the required drivers included? I know that many Linux distributions include drivers for several of these chips including FTDI and Silicon Labs. If we can individually address VCPs when defining macros, it gets around the issue of having one serial port on the server and several serial devices to talk to. But, I have not checked this out at all (I had never thought of it). So, do digital cinema servers support and allow you to define macros to be directed to virtual comm ports that are driving USB to RS232 converters? Maybe it's time for me to experiment a bit when I get back to work...

Harold

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2013 05:00 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen I agree,

RS232 is usually good out to 50', longer if you use the right cable. The OP mentioned BluRay players, so I assume he's going to connect that to the projector/scaler via HDMI/DVI, which has a near identical max working cable length.

Using RS232 direct from the server will mean less wiring As it's one cable from the device to the server.

Using RS232 over Ethernet requires Ethernet from the switch, to the convertor box, then RS232 to the device.

That's before we start thinking about the cost of doing RS232 over Ethernet. The venue in question is a "small community theatre", so one would assume doesn't have bottomless pockets.

Harold, with Dolby servers you are stuck with one single RS232 port. Doremi has one port native, but as I said earlier one can add USB to serial convertors. Contact Doremi support for advice as to which ones are supported. You can define macros using those comm ports exactly as you would the onboard comm port or an Ethernet device.

I have found one limitation in the Doremi software with regard to serial devices, that is the termination string seems to be limited to one character.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-27-2013 08:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall i find RS232 far more reliable and robust than ethernet

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2013 12:29 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with the learned Canadian fellow above [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Another agree with Gordon. RS232 just works.

James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2013 05:37 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the great feedback. Sounds like RS232 strait to the Dorami is the best option. I'll give it a try.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-28-2013 01:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact we designed our own RS232 automation that would fit inside the cinemas existing TA10 automation(handy since all the auditorium control wires are already there) It has 8 inputs and 16 dry contact isolated relay outputs and if it recieves a serial string it doesnt understand it passes it through to the com 2 port which can be a processor or even another board
We are starting to put them into all our cinemas now with the first version software

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: