Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The never ending collection of USB flash drives (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The never ending collection of USB flash drives
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2013 05:28 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We seem to be getting a never ending stream of content on flash drives lately. I have over 15 in my box!

So far, none of them have come with a returns label, and no distributors have asked for any of them back. Most of them are pretty large at 4gb+

What do I do with them all? how long shall I keep hold of them before "reallocating" them ?

I think its pretty wasteful that nobody wants them back.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-17-2013 05:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that they'll want them back, return label or not. We apparently have a slightly different system for shipping stuff around here in Canada than the rest of you do, but I put flash drives into one of the hard drive cases that I'm sending back (along with the hard drive, of course) so it doesn't actually require its own return label.

I have received inquiries several months after-the-fact asking where and when I sent this or that hard drive or flash drive and I always provide them with the shipping date and waybill numbers for whatever they're asking about. I would be really hesitant to receive a flash drive and "forget" to return it in a reasonably timely manner in the absence of very specific instructions to the contrary.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2013 05:38 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of them have come in unmarked white "jiffy bags" with nothing but the flash drive inside.

I did start to make enquiries about some of them that contained trailers with the UK distributors but in many cases the distributors only had records of is being sent on a DVD and gave no indication of interest in having them back.

A few have even been delivered without anything on them so I have no idea where they came from!

The only ones that I know for certain of their origins are the ones from Dolby (who ship the P&D adverts) but our contact there didn't seem to know where or how they should be sent back.

Some of them are from 5+ months ago!

I am keeping them all organised and separate as best I can so if they do ask I have them.

One more thing, Im not sure of the distribution of drives anywhere else but over here most of the CRU drives we get the features on come direct from another cinema, and the go direct to another cinema after the run is finished. I did put a flash drive in one once when I thought it was going back to the depot, but no, the next cinema in line sent the bloomin things back to me!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-17-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the difference between here and there. I rarely ship or receive hard drives or flash drives to or from anywhere but the CCDI film warehouse, so I can take the "nuke 'em 'til they glow" approach, ship the whole works back to them, and let god sort them out.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-17-2013 05:48 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4GB in mass quantities are usually worth much less than any trackable shipping option.

Keep them in a box, use them, give them away. I don't think they will ever be requested back. They are still cheaper than 35mm trailers with their associated boxes and shipping cost.

- Carsten

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten - Do you have a similar situation with them in Germany?

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are in US dollars, but it gives you an idea how cheap they get these. And realize the prices here are for smaller wholesale lots of 30-100. The film companies most likely by these in the thousands.

Bulk USB sticks

This one doesn't have as good of prices, but I like the first one.

Cooler Bulk USB sticks

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-17-2013 11:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always send the ones from TECH and DeLuxe back in their respective cases, if they do come in bubble mailers.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2013 12:23 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word - "Legos!"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2013 12:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about other countries, but in the US the paperwork that comes with the hard drives specifically says to pack up the equipment "and any USB drives you may have on hand" in the hard drive shipping boxes and return them.

Let's face it, you don't own those things and if you don't send them back you're just increasing expenses for the distributor, who will pass it on in fees eventually.

Send 'em back.

Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2013 10:08 AM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow.. i have to download trailer via file zillar from distributor.
So, Do studio get USB, hard drive and DCP back ???

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2013 10:13 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironic timing on this topic!
Just yesterday I was at a theater to deal with a minor problem, which of
course turned out to be operator error since 90% of the minimum
wage monkeys running digital equipment these days have no business
being anywhere near a projecton room.

....but that's a topic for antother forum...sorry!....

While I was there the "operator" (note the quotes) opened a desk
drawer to look for a pen, and there were dozens of those little USB
drives in there. "Want some?"; she asked. Not being one to turn
down "free stuff", I walked outta there with one of my jacket pockets
stuffed wih a wholebuncha of 'em.

quote: Mike Blakesley
the paperwork that comes with the hard drives specifically says to pack up
the equipment "and any USB drives you may have on hand"

I'm not doubting you, Mike. I'm surprised I've never seen this since I'm
the kind of person who usually reads all the 'fine print' on documents
and enlosures but I guess I somehow missed this.

I've just always assumed, as others have said, that the handling
cost of re-using the USB drives would exceed the cost of just
shipping out new ones, since they probably buy them dirt cheap in bulk.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-18-2013 10:21 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cost and ownership aside, I think most people see USB sticks as chattel.

Yes, send them back if distributors want them but, soon, if not already, most theaters will have boxes full of USB sticks just the same way they used to have boxes full of film trailers.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2013 10:25 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy - yep, I still have several boxes of old 35mm trailers, adverts and shorts. Some of them dating back longer than the 5 years I have worked here. Offers of returning them to the relevant distributors proved fruitless as well.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2013 11:17 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Save those 35mm trailers because one may never see that content again. I treasure my 35mm trailer of the GCC Candy Band.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: