Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Problem with Cinedigm Software

Author Topic: Problem with Cinedigm Software
John Rizzo
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2013 03:24 PM      Profile for John Rizzo   Email John Rizzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All we make all of our DCP's on a DVS Fuze I then format a hard drive that is in a cru shell on a linuex EXT 2 formatted.
I check that all the componets of the DCP are on the Cru drive.

the theater that is playing the DCP use's Cinedigm Software
The Problem they are having is:

Unfortunately the drives failed to be recognized by their server. So long as the film does not change houses, it will be ok for the time being. But I do want to figure out why it is not being recognized, especially before we make additional clones and send them out further in the world. The server software used by this theater is Cinedigm LMS. This was apparently the same problem experienced by the first drive, which otherwise still has the content on it

can anyone offer some advice on as to what the problem could be.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinedigm server will only recognize specific formatting, that is for sure but EXT2 should work. If you have access, you can check from the Windows desktop>computer to see if the drive is being recognized there first.

The other possibility is the formatting of the content itself.

As for content transferring around. The Cinedigm software will transfer content between like servers (same brand) once it is on one of them. You will still have to Title Map it though so it will recognize the title...it can then be added to the various segments as normal.

Alexandre Hurtubise
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Alexandre Hurtubise   Email Alexandre Hurtubise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if it has been corrected since, but we encountered an issue with the TCC software where it would not recognize video files.

In our case, it was due to the fact that the video was 23.98 fps. I did some research and it seems like any odd frame rate (23.98, 29.97, etc.) will not be "seen" by TCC. It needs to be an exact number (24, 30, etc.)

Hope this helps !

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2013 04:24 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran across the same issue years ago with encoding our own ads - and our answer was the same as Alexandre's.

The explanation from Cinedigm was that non-integer frame rates were not in DCI so therefore their TMS will not see content not specified in DCI. I have not checked specifically to see if DCI has since included alternate frame rates, I know at one point there was an effort in SMPTE to come up with something.

If you look in the CPL you should see an <editrate> tag and it should be 24 1 for 24fps content (30 1 for 30fps, etc). If I recall correctly 29.97 stuff showed in the editrate as 30000 1001.

We ended up asking for content in 24fps, but it usually comes in as 23.98 but Cineasset can be told to import 23.98 as 24 so that solved our specific issue.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2013 12:17 AM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work all my ads with Cineasset and it will convert 23.97 to 24 and 29.98 to 30. As for format of the hard drives I have use NTFS and FAT32 (USB's) and work great.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: