Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Turn xenon lamp off at the end the show or end day ???

Author Topic: Turn xenon lamp off at the end the show or end day ???
Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2013 12:29 AM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
What should i do??? why???
On this morning, I recieve a message from...some guys "Turn xenon lamp off at end day and just close downser between 2 show because of lamp age" @@
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 03:29 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which of the following are you saying:
1) The message said to shut the lamp off between 2 movies
2) The message said to shut the lamp off at the end of the day (as in when you no longer have any movies to play)
3) Both

In the first case, I think it depends on how much down time you'll have if you should shut it off or not. If you have a 10-minute turn-around it is stupid to shut it off but if you have a 45-minute one it would be arguably good to shut it off.

In the 2nd case, I'd think you'd already be shutting it off at the end of the day anyway, but it might be someone got pissed coming in and seeing a bulb left on all night and left the note to remind people to not do that.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 05:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ushio and Osram did their own tests and both quote around 12-20min pause between shows as the minimum to shut off the bulbs. If time between shows is shorter, you should leave them running.

If you have frequent issues with automated lamp starts (and no way to solve them), you might be better of to leave them running all day even with longer time between shows.

- Carsten

Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2013 06:55 AM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some guys (Cinema manager) want turn lamp off each show because of saving electric. But I just turn off at the end of the day !!! So..which is better for lamp age ???
Thanks

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do so.
Then have a laugh when the manager gets the lamps bill!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 05:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Duc Nguyen
So..which is better for lamp age ???
We told you that already. If the idle time between shows is longer than 15min, shut them off. If shorter, leave them running. If your managers doubt it, get the statement from USHIO and show it to them.

Of course you always save on electricity by switching off lamps. But you lose on lamp costs if you do not consider lamp aging.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: