Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Cinema in open air

Author Topic: Cinema in open air
Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

One of my customer wants to make some small cinema in his villa's yard. This is an undergoing project so all opinions are welcome. Until now he has built apmhiteatre which he want to use for next purposes (he is one of famuos singer):
1. small shows and concerts for his family, friends and biz partners
2. screening of some movies, games, etc. (DC is not necessary)
3. other

Stage is about 4x6 meters and screen is planed to be mounted on aluminium -truss construction which can be dismounted/mounted when is needed. Screen size iz 1.9 x 3.5 meters (aspect ratio 1.85/Flat).

So, I need ideas for audio, stage lightning, projector...

Any ideas/questions?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 03:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the light/sun orientation of this location? Any shading?

- Carsten

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First and most expencive thing is to decide is it need to be dci capable or not?

If yes than you know all about projector.....if not than go to some full HD 10000 lumen projector and some home cinema package so you can run movie from it and send to projector via HDMI. Other things are to be thinked like pa system, option for live concerts and so......i did couple of similar systems (more to say multi purpose auditoriums) but all depends on needs.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

It doesn't matter because it will be used mainly during evenings/nights. My opinion is that it will be used maybe 15 times a year because this villa is for hollydays and owner will be there only from time to time during summer. Russian way mate [Smile]

Villa has smart home option so basically i need two cables from house to stage (one incoming from smarthome audio gateway and one outgoing from stage to audio gateway).
Like i said there is no need for DCI equipment which will reduce price.

Audio:
Speakers must be with IP protection (lets say IP65) because it can be a really rainy there (Martine ti znas kako je na jadranskom primorju [Wink] )
I wish to go with recessed speaker and put them in amphieteather seats.
Audio processor must have multiple inputs (i'm thinking about Dolby CP750).
Audio will be 5.1 or 2.0 which will depend of used content/source.

Video:
Thinking about some HD DLP projector with miltiple inputs (HDMI, component, composite)

Stage lights:

I'm planning to use will probably be DMX controled Martin Lights (Stage and architectural lights)

One important thing: All of this equipment must be mobile because when owner is not there everything can be disconnected and then moved to storage room so i am planning to make all connections and cables easy detachable.

BR Alexander

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, didn't read well.....so if no dci than CP750 is not important, rather get some hi end home receiver to decode dts, dolby and so, and send outputs to speaker amps, I did this quite few times just need to get good receiver with aux outputs plus you will have WAY MORE aux inputs than on cp750 and plus you can switch video HD and audio in same time as good receivers have hdmi video switching too. Since there you need IP65 protection, you need to have passive speakers.....if money isn's problem use some power amps with DSP inside so you can do eq, delays or so that way (another thing you don't need CP750 for).

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 03:46 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

Any proposition for audio processor?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 04:00 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many quality receivers from Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer or so....but don't know a budget?

maybe to try this

Probably you could integreate it in smart house enviroment.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice mate and you can bet i can do it (integrate it into smarthome system) [Smile]

Amplifiers for this situation will be...(quality ones and i don't need to much power at outputs)?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2013 01:41 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For amps and if (again) money is not problem, quality is needed......try something from crown, say CDi they have couple of version depending on power and built in DSP so you can do eq, bi-amp if want and so.....

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-03-2013 04:16 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, stay away from DCI/cinema gear. As a matter of fact, I would suggest to go to AVSFORUMS.COM - they have sections on high end hometheater gear.

You should probably start around an AV receiver with Crestron control capabilities.

As mentioned, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

As a matter of fact, there is a home cinema version of the Datasat AP20 available - the RS20i ;-)

Use a micropreforated screen, build the speakers recessed into something like a baffle wall, and you already have much of the wether protection. You will still need a retracable cover in front of the screen for longer periods without presentations. Or use a large motorized screen.

- Carsten

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2013 04:35 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, as a matter of fact i have a supplier for crown apms and that would be great for this job.

Carsten, tnx for info for RS20. I didn't know that they have device for home users. Everyday man can learn something [Smile]
Any known price of this Datasat?

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a contractor that understand the wind loads involved. That screen will be a real danger even with the slightest wind.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2013 07:41 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm aware of this and that's why i am going to use motorized screen which will be triggered by wind speed (as one of the factors that will be implemented)

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2013 05:15 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said AVSforums has a wealth of information that you will find usefull.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-04-2013 11:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen absurd pricing for the RS20i - although it is exactly the same hardware as the AP20. I guess it would be better to simply use the AP20 ;-)

Wether a AV-Receiver is more suitable depends on the overall layout. It is certainly sufficient for a dedicated 'large' Home-Cinema - but if the locations and speakers will be used for other uses, an AP20 + ordinary amplifiers might be the better way to go.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: