Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » distorted audio output (AKA: Robosound) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: distorted audio output (AKA: Robosound)
Peter Angelo Bua-ay
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Email Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Set up:
Server - Doremi showvalt IMB
Projector - CP2230
Audio Processor - Dolby CP650

The problem is when it comes to part of the movie/features that has high sound effects, the audio become distorted. And when it become distorted, it will become distorted to till the end and till the last show. Amplifiers are not clipping, audio processor is also working fine (tried also to replace to processor but same problem occurred. Is my assumption that the IMB is the causing problem?

Does anyone already experience this same kind of problem and how does it resolved.

Admin edited subject for clarity on future searches

[ 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-27-2013 11:15 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search the forum for 'Robosound' - it seems the CP650 causes that problem when using the digital inputs from the IMB. I don't think the Doremi causes that problem.

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2013 12:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Carsten's comment. Just power cycle the CP650 sound processor the next time it happens and the outstanding odds is it will wake back up and be happy again.

There is no known/proven "fix" for this (other than to use an external D to A converter and go into the CP650 via format 11, which is what we do).

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2013 06:13 PM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought someone said a replacement Cat. 790 could fix this, if you got a "good one." Is this not the case?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-27-2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is clear that some CAT 790s are more prone to this than others...we had a customer that had an issue with a CAT 790 (new) and upon replacing it, the Robosound never returned.

Dolby is working on a software fix to the problem but nothing has been released, to the best of my knowledge. I try to avoid using the CP650 for DCinema except in mixed film/digital systems and even then just let the CP650 handle the film.

Peter Angelo Bua-ay
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2013 06:42 PM      Profile for Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Email Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've already replaced the CAT790 board and also the whole processor too.

Miller,

If this is a bug on cat790 board, is there a fix available now from dolby?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-29-2013 09:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
There is no known/proven "fix" for this
quote: Steve Guttag
Dolby is working on a software fix to the problem but nothing has been released, to the best of my knowledge.

Peter Angelo Bua-ay
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Email Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
meaning additional cost again to cinema exhibitor for additional converter..

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-30-2013 11:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Brad is saying that right now the safest solution seems to be using the analog inputs via a D-A converter.

But, in the future, if Dolby can resolve this, it may be something that can be addressed via software. In which case, one would hope it would be offered as a free software update. (Or firmware, etc)

One would hope...or expect...the fix would be free.

FWIW, I have not experienced Robosound for well over a year now. IIRC it showed up right away and we ended up replacing with a whole new 650 and 790.

(Now, I better go knock on wood.)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 08:35 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read about this issue on this forum over the last couple of years. I only have 7 CP-650's, not a very large number. To my knowledge, unless the staff are rebooting the processor when the issue occurs and not informing me, that site has not experienced this problem. All 7 use the Cat. 790, no external D/A converters. Is the problem isolated to a certain vintage of Cat. 790? Like, bad componentry prior to a certain serial number? Any theories as to why none of my CP-650's (again, to my knowledge) have experience this issue, while others report it happening frequently?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-02-2013 07:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too had zero problems until some DCinema installs in 2012...the problem is...if you have it...it is VERY annoying since it is a show stopper and the CP650 is not the fastest processor to boot up.

I have found that either you have the problem or you don't.

Peter Angelo Bua-ay
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Email Peter Angelo Bua-ay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robosound happen/experience only with server processor combination of Doremi IMB and dolby CP650 (based on my observation here, just don't know on other countries). We have the same set up but using different server and we never experienced the problem. Are the manufacturers aware on this?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-03-2013 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine have been on Dolby servers.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2013 08:09 AM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the same problem on 2 out of 3 screens here. All use Doremi servers and cp650's with cat.790's. Cinema 1 (which doesn't have the problem) has a rev.5 board - Cinemas 2 & 3 both have rev.4 boards and both have had problems (robosound and a couple of films have had 'popping/cracking' in the surround channel). I've never had to reboot to solve the robosound, just pressing the format button again clears it up.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-12-2013 06:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repressing the format button or switching off of the format and back sometimes works. But I would not bank on it.

Since the CP650 clocks ALL channels off of the 1/2 pair...I was wondering if interrupting that line and re-establishing connection wouldn't clear the issue.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: