Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby's "Countdown" tag (2-D version)

Author Topic: Dolby's "Countdown" tag (2-D version)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2013 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody happen to have a DCP of the Dolby Countdown that you could send me? We have the 3-D version but not the 2-D. I like Countdown infinitely better than Sphere.

For some reason these aren't included in TrailMix or Deluxe trailer drives anymore, even though all the competitive tags are.

(Aren't they about due to come out with something new?)

|  IP: Logged

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 05:24 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just contact Dolby's marketing department. They sent us a copy almost immediately after we asked for one. I don't believe they charged anything for it either.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-24-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They come on the servers new and Dolby does have a version of them for download on their secure site.

James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 10:06 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find it at https://www.dolbysecure.com/cinematech/

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2013 11:11 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you play the 3d version in 2d?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-25-2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James S: Thanks for that info. I don't have a password for that site; I tried registering on that site in the past and can never get it to work. Just tried it again and I get a screen that looks like this:

-

...same results I got the last time.

I emailed support using their "contact us" page yesterday and will see what happens.

You would think they'd want to make it EASIER to advertise their brand, not harder.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2013 06:24 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Did you ever hear back from Dolby? I had the same problem trying to register in the site.

Robert Keeney
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Robert Keeney   Email Robert Keeney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried that page and this time the application was accepted. You may want to try it again.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2013 08:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard back from Dolby but a couple of kind Film-Techers gave me the help I needed. (Both Dolby dealers, so I guess in a way I did hear from Dolby.)

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2013 10:57 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have not heard back from Dolby. Is there any other way to get the "Countdown" DCP? I have Dolby sound processors and would like to add this to my playlists.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2013 01:25 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Wienholt
I still have not heard back from Dolby
Hahahha! Don't hold your breath waiting to hear from them.

About 2 years ago I had a fairly simple technical question I was seeking
an answer for from Dolby.

After much difficulty registering on their 'tech' website, I submitted my question.
. . . and waited. Several weeks later, I tried re-submitting my question on both
their tech website, as well as to a couple of other 'contact' e-mails they had
listed on their website.

Three weeks later - - still no reply to my question, despite having received
"auto-reply" emails from Dolby indicating they had received my inquiry.

I finially resorted to sending my question to them via USPS snail mail.
Several weeks later- - still nothing.

In desparation, I finially went down to their headquarters here in San Francisco,
and had to sit around for almost 30min before they found someone who would
talk to me.

When I finially got to see somone, he listened politely, and then said he'd
get back to me BY E-MAIL!!- - Needless to say, I never heard from him again.

I got my question answered elsewhere. I was very polite in all my communications
and in my visit to Dolby HQ, but boy did I unload on one of their people at a trade
show several months later. He told me to calm down (and to put the knife away. . )

He said I shouldn't take it so personally, . . that Dolby wasn't ignoring just ME- -
he said they were just really lousy at responding to e-mails from anyone outside
the company, unless it was a major client, and went on to tell me
he had an experience similar to mine where he also sent
numerous e-mails that went igonred & unanswered before he joined the company.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2013 02:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's just dumb....why in the world do they even have a "contact us" on their website?

In my limited experience with them they often don't seem to be too efficient. I've tried to contact them maybe 3 or 4 times to ask questions or ask for promotional stuff but have never heard back in any way. Only when one of their dealers who happen to visit Film Tech sees what kind of trouble I'm having, does anything happen -- which is really cool considering these aren't our local area dealers.

When we went to one of the Dolby conferences a couple of years ago (when they were really pushing 7.1 sound), they said "yes" I could bring my wife, she would be more than welcome etc. but when we got there they had not included her in the "list." Hence we had trouble just getting in the front door. Once we finally convinced them that she wasn't a spy from another audio company and they let us both in, then she had no name tag, there was no place for her at the dinners, didn't get any of the "swag," etc. It was really embarrassing for her.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-09-2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, for the days of Lonny Jennings!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: