Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can A " - " Be Used In DCP Naming?

Author Topic: Can A " - " Be Used In DCP Naming?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 12:22 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it permissible to use a "dash" ( - ) in the 'title' field of a DCP name?

I can't find anything specifically prohibiting it in the DCP naming document.

In fact, in the chart in the DCP document, they show the film title as:
"Name-Of-Movie" (with dashes) whereas I've almost always seen a title
written as: "Name_Of_Movie" (with underscores)

So, which is correct? "Gone-With-The-Wind", or "Gone_With_The_Wind"?

>>OR ARE BOTH ACCEPTABLE?<< That's what I really need to know.

tnx

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I read this, underscores separate fields, so they should not be used within fields (like within a title). Hyphens separate sub-fields (like the sound format after the title). It would be nice if they included a sample of a multi-word title. I'd be tempted to use CamelCase to separate the words.

The naming convention has really gotten out of hand!

Harold

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 05:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody should check out the link above -- it leads to a NEW version of the naming convention that actually does take a step or two in the right direction, well sort of. At least it provides a place for some of the new crap.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used dashes in titles for clarity, and never had a problem on our ShowVault.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 07:31 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get frustrated with my GDC server when the file names get really long. In the ingest program, I have not found a way to scroll the name so I can see the whole thing. You can drag that portion of the window a little bigger, but that often is not enough. Anyone found a work around for this issue?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 08:24 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jock Blakley
I've always used dashes in titles for clarity, and never had a problem on our ShowVault
Thanks. This topic came up because I've got to show an independent/student
film later this week, and I noticed they use 'dashes' in the title field instead
of underscores, as is the ususal convention. My concern was that this might
cause some sort of problem with the server.

I've been at another location waaaaay across town running film all week, so
I haven't had a chance to check to see if this program will run OK. I should
have a chance to do that later today. Fortunately the show in question isn't
until Friday, so I still have a few days to resolve any issues.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 08:58 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ISDCF is meeting today. I'll ask about this. The above cited naming convention calls for underscore between fields and hyphens between sub fields. There is no mention of multi word titles.

Harold

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 06:37 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked about this at today's ISDCF meeting. The suggestion is to use CamelCase to separate words in a title. Since this is a "naming convention" and is not designed for machine parsing, it is not fatal to use other separators. However, it appears the intent is to use underscore as a field separator and hyphen as a subfield separator.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: