Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 closed caption file location?

Author Topic: DSS200 closed caption file location?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 03:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our movies were shipped without the closed caption files but, recently, we received some of them as separate files. Now we have to load them into the system.

Where do I put them so the CCE-100 can read them?

Do I just drop them in? Or, do I have to put them inside a directory somewhere?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 05:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try a regular ingest on the DSS200? Usually they should come as a VF DCP.

- Carsten

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 06:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movies were sent without closed captioning. The caption files were sent afterward, via e-mail. We were told to just load them and use them.

Like you, I thought closed captioning was packed in the DCP. I didn't know you could get them separately.

We use a "Rear Window" system. At first, we thought the caption encoder wasn't working. (USL CCE-100 caption encoder) We updated the firmware and double checked everything. Still no luck. Then, after several phone calls, we found that the movie had no captions.

We can't have that. We are a state-owned facility. We have to have ADA compliance at all times. Only one person has ever asked to use the Rear Window since the place was built in 2006 but we still must have it available and working if anybody wants it.
(For the record, I think it is a good idea to have it.)

It worked okay when we used film. Only since the digital system was installed did it stop.

That's when we found out that the movies weren't captioned.
We went through channels and finally got caption files.

We were told just to load them and use them. Only I have no idea what to do with them. [Shrug]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 11:02 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, try putting the files on a thumb drive and just plug it in to the server...I have a suspicion that the server will Know what to do with them.

Or maybe my turn to the Dark Side has given me too much faith in the server's abilities. [Big Grin]

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2013 11:21 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the files are a supplementary DCP, you should be able to just injest theDCP. If it's just the XML timed text files, I don't believe it will work. The timed text files have to be listed in the CPL so the server knows what file goes with what reel. The server then builds an RPL whose location is sent to the CCE-100. The RPLhas the URL of each timed text file, the offset into the show or composition (depending on server supplier) along with other stuff. Without the caption info in the CPL, the server can't build the RPL.

I HOPE you can just Ingest it.

Good luck!

Harold
CCE-100 designer

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 11:45 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Thanks!

I think they might be supplementary DCP. I didn't look at them very closely but I know there are several files in a folder that resembled a DCP. I didn't look inside the container folder but I bet you a nickel that's what they are.

I work tomorrow. I'll drop them into the server, then.

P.S. Harold, does the CCE-100's web configuration interface use any funky Java/Javascript, etc?

I had a heck of a time configuring the thing, today, because the computer I had to use was locked down such that I can't change the IP settings to communicate with it. I want to bring my old iBook to work and use that to do the config. Problem is the computer is old. Too old to run newer browsers. A lot of the newer Java stuff won't run on this computer.

I'd rather use my personal computer because I have complete control over it but, if it's too old to do the job I'll just have to harass the IT dept. for the admin. password on the one at work.

I think I'm going to change the Off-line message to something like, "Closed Caption: Inquire at concession stand."

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 08:07 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Javascript is used on the pages that show captions on the web inteface (the "caption" and "debug" pages for each language). This is required to do the updates of the captions without redrawing the whole page. Javascript is not used on the configuration page. Also, you MIGHT want to use Firefox with the PCMAN plugin. That will let you click the link on the home page to the streaming log (telnet to device on port 10001). You can see everything the CCE-100 does, including all communications with the server) as it happens. The same firmware runs in the CCE-100 and the IRC-28C.

I look forward to hearing any problems or other comments people have on these products.

THANKS!

Harold

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 10:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked. All I found was an XML file. Tried to put it on a USB and load it but the system didn't recognize the files.

I'm only logged in as "manager" right now. I might have to be logged in as "service" instead.

The captions work for the 70mm system. They don't work for the digital system because the CC info isn't available and the people we talk to don't seem to have the knowledge or inclination to put much effort into this. They'll e-mail us a file or send us a some general instructions but, past that, everybody just seems to throw up their hands.

Since we're showing all digital features, now, the 70mm doesn't get used very much and we need to get this working.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally the distributor will provide you with an Interop or SMPTE DCP that includes closed captioning or a supplementary package that does. I'm afraid I can't help much on the content packaging side of things. I know others here are creating DCPs. Maybe something can be done by editing a DCP. The distributors I have contact with (through ISDCF) are all including closed captioning on everything (though perhaps as a supplementary package).

Good luck!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you still have the original DCP files (without the subtitle file), it might be worth a try to copy the XML subtitle file into the DCP and reingest the subtitle CPL (if present). Maybe that will fix it.

- Carsten

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 02:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are thinking along the same lines as I was.

Let me understand how this works.
When you ingest a movie, the server scans the files and generates a playlist. Right? So what has to happen is for the server to do that rescan and generate a new playlist?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't generate a playlist, it will usually recognize one or more CPLs in the DCP. One CPL might be for the local language version, another one for the subtitle version, one for 5.1 audio, another for 7.1 audio.

Typically, sending a subtitled subfeature/version file separately will include the title file + CPL, asset/pkl file, etc. The subtitle CPL will reference the video and audio that is already on the server. It could be that the other necessary files had been included in the original DCP - although it would be the proper way of doing it to not just send an XML file, but the full package incl. the necessary CPL. Aside from a KDM, a server will not ingest a plain XML subtitle file.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: