Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Volume Automation on Doremi DCP-2K4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Volume Automation on Doremi DCP-2K4
James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2013 01:18 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently setup our Doremi DCP-2K4 perform automation control to our Dolby CP650 over Ethernet. I have been happy with the results. I have setup automation cues for format buttons, etc.

One thing that I haven't been to happy with is setting the volume. The Dolby has about 100 levels of volume. So far I have had to setup a different automation cue for each level. Not an elegant solution.

Is there any way to pass a parameter to an automation macro? Ideally I would only need one volume automation cue and then just set the desired volume level when I add the cue. I imagine this working similarly to how adding Black into a play list works where it prompts for a number of seconds but instead it would promote for the volume level.

Is it possible to pass parameters to automation cues?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-21-2013 01:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not as far as I know. I have been wondering the same, if anybody has a solution for this it would be great!

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 08:11 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't believe there's a method of setting up a "raw device" with variable data. The string sent is a constant string defined when the command is defined. Though there ARE 100 possible fader levels, it seems unlikely you'd use all of them. I've often seen three fader levels (preshow, trailers, and feature). Other levels can be added as they are needed. I think Doremi is building XM files for devices (perhaps as people request). I've received a couple files for USL processors.

Harold

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you don't want to run all your features at the same level, do you?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not, even though it was supposedly mixed for playback at 7.0 (the theater I was in Friday had the feature at 5.4), One nice feature some processors have (and I think it's nice since I put it there) is a "last used" fader setting for each format along with configurable formats. You set up one format for the feature, another for the trailers, etc. During the first test playback of the feature, you set the level. This will return the next time you select this format. So, you're cues just select the feature, trailer, or whatever format.

Back on the original question, I think you have to generate a separate command for each level, but you probably don't need 100 commands or levels.

Good luck!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use four separate volume cues, that is perfectly okay for us - 4.5,5.0,5.5,6.0

Plus our AP20 has format individual preset levels, and an auditorium control.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-22-2013 04:28 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 750 does not have the "last volume" and to be honest I don't see the hassle in changing the fader for each feature, it takes a moment. As said, you don't need 100 faders.
Fader 7.0 won't work for all features, it's a fact. Some will run at 7.0, some at 6.5, some at 6.0. Some at 7.5.
All of them will run in the average theatre at 5.5.

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2013 11:43 PM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've set a preset for the input. When switching to Digital, the level is set for ad's etc.

Regarding automation level commands, I've got commands from "3.0" to "7.5" in 0.5 steps.

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 08:29 AM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to comment a slightly different approach. In our case with CP45 and Doremi.

Preshow, advertisments and trailers/feature get each a relative volume, feature being 0db, automated with the Doremi Volume playback action. We have no more than six macros for this.
The general volume is set manually with the CP45 fader. It depends on the feature and specially on the amount and "style" of the audience. Actually, it only get adjusted in extreme cases.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-24-2013 03:43 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know Doremi had already put in place the volume, I was expecting it but did not realise it was already available, thanks. Is that with 2.4?

Personally I think it would be dangerous, having two places where the general level is changed. But if I remember correctly I was told the fader would reset at every show - hence it would change it only if you intentionally change it.

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2013 03:48 PM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure when, but yes, it's recent. SImple but extremely help in my case.
The general volume is set on the physical fader on the CP45 that I can't automate.
We have one CP750 controlled by ethernet, we take care of not mixing both volume controls on that one.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 08:41 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold wins. Retaining independent fader settings for each format without the use of presets is one of my favorite features of the JSD-100.

(Not that that helps to answer the original question. Just thought I'd throw that out there.)

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 02:20 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

What are you using for auditorium fader for AP20? I have 9 of them (Datasat AP20) in one of cinemas in cinema chain i work and my boss wants this also.

Tnx mate

BTW i all of cinemas i work we have fader levels (CP650) from 2.5 to 7.0 with step 0.1 (i made macros on one server and then i made copy of this "master" file to all screens). It was a hell of a afternoon for me and for what? Because production guys (from studios) are dumb to make normalization/calibration at their workstations (no offense guys but some of those guys are don't give a f... for playout)

BR

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-02-2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't use an actual fader/pot. The AP20 has GPIO, we configured two of these inputs to implement a simple Up/Down control (+/-0.3 level).

We use a large momentary on/off/on switch in the auditorium. Costs 2-3€, plus a three wire line to the booth (GPIO common, GPIO-Up,GPIO-Down). You could as well use two separate momentary switches. You set them up as GPIO action in the AP20 automation setup dialog. We used an existing three wire line from the previous CP65 remote pot. For a new installation, I would probably put a CAT5 line in and add some more functions like format, mute, etc. The AP20 is quite capable with it's automation, it can even forward/relay actions to the server or Jnior.

- Carsten

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2013 03:10 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have similar solution but it seems that PLC which controls everything has a little bit of lag so i have to press a key as many times as i need volume up/down. Problem happens when someone of staff keeps key down. If someone do this AP will lower volume to 0 or it will be high in the skies. I think that remote control box in auditorium needs some changes. Where did i put my soldering iron?!?! [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: