Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Problems with Christie Solaria One (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Problems with Christie Solaria One
Mike Brodeur
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2013 05:37 PM      Profile for Mike Brodeur   Email Mike Brodeur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our brand new Christie Solaria One is a nightmare to work with.
The projector interface is extremely buggy. I've done all the latest updates, and it didn't help. Sometimes (most of the time), when I go to load content, such as the feature, I will get a random error. Usually logging out, then logging back in fixes it. Today the feature actually stopped, about 20 minutes from the end, and ON SCREEN asked us to log in. On the user interface, everything seemed to be grayed out, as if I was not logged in.

Logged in under administrator, service, operator, marriage. Nothing. Had to unplug the projector from the wall, and wait for it to re-boot. Still gave me errors upon trying to log in. Finally got it to run again, after loosing our patrons. Seems to be going fine for this show... for now.

I called Christie Tech Support. They told us to go pound sand. We have to purchase the $1699 support contract.

I'm at a loss. Open to suggestions. [bs]

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-16-2013 07:10 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where and when did you buy this machine? Did you contact the vendor/integrator about it? What kind of warranty do you have?

- Carsten

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-16-2013 08:51 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: Who did you talk to in Christie Tech support who told you to "pound sand"? I have NEVER had that problem or attitude from them in the several calls I have had to make to them the last few years (mainly dealing with my stupid questions in setting up CP2210's and CP2220's. ) Your experience is not in line with mine or many others who have used Christies.

Your installer DID put the projector's electronics on a UPS, right? If not, that is your first major issue to deal with. As complex and expensive as these projectors are, it is nothing short of insanity to NOT have them on a UPS. ANY power issues at your theatre can create all kinds of problems with these new fangled machines. [Smile]

Also, how about any temperature or ventilation issues in your booth? If the BOOTH temperature is running much above 85deg F then it is too hot for reliable operation of a d-cinema projector.

Your first call should have been to your installer as they are responsible for making sure everything is working correctly. Call them and make them get it fixed!!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-16-2013 09:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your first call should have been to your installer as they are responsible for making sure everything is working correctly. Call them and make them get it fixed!!
Agreed! [Smile]

If the installer did something wrong, they are the ones responsible to make it right. Not Christie. Not saying the installer did do anything wrong. I'm just saying IF.

Further, if the equipment is faulty, Christie's responsibility is more to the installer than it is to you. Yes, they should try to ensure that their products are of good quality but, unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise, you need to go through channels.

If your installer fails to take care of the problem (again... IF) then you can take it up with Christie but you need to exhaust other avenues first.

I don't think Christie tried to tell you off as much as they were trying to encourage you to follow channels. I think your bad experience was due to a failure of communication more than anything else.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-16-2013 11:28 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
linky

[Wink]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2013 09:42 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to chime in here solely about dealing with Christie:

I have a friend who works for them as a tech and he is a nice guy.

I have dealt with individuals at Christie who are some of the rudest people I have ever dealt with in 25 years.

The number one thing that I hate about Christie is this: It seems that their BEST workers are hired through temp agencies. I have been working on a project just since the beginning of the year or so - and I am on my 3rd person that I am dealing with. The other two apparently had their contracts expire.

While I know there are advantages to using temp agencies - I am not happy about it from a customer point of view. I've had to almost start over each time a new person starts.

Oh - and I believe you regarding the problems with the Solaria One. No surprise there.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

The new Christie Solaria One's have a two year warranty. Ours came with those two years of NOC phone support included. We did have to register our projectors to get support.

The link for that was: http://www.projectdigital.info/wplus/
Your installer should have given you this info.

When calling NOC, know there are two centers. For some reason it matters. The first thing I tell them is I'm having an issue with a Christie IMB, and would they please connect me with someone experienced with the Christie IMB. That seemed to help a lot! Sometimes if they couldn't help us, they were quick to try to send on-site service out. We let them know right away we don't have an on-site service agreement.

Two thoughts: As someone else mentioned - these machines are temp sensitive and power sensitive, as are the NAS's externally attached. Make sure both are getting proper airflow and proper power. Also, we've had a bunch of issues with not well made cables - if you've made the Cat6 connector cables yourself, get a loop and make sure they are properly made. If there's any doubt, use a factory made cable to test, or if you crimp yourself, just cut the end off and remake it.

When ingesting the keys, make sure they are NOT in folders on the USB drive. Copy them individually from the desktop folder to the USB drive. Have no idea why it matters sometimes, but it does.

Often logout/login will fix a problem. Almost always, a full reboot - which includes turning off the projector, turning off the NAS, unplugging both from AC power, and unplugging the Cat6 Cable between them, then repowering and turning on and waiting a full two minutes before reconnecting the cat6 has resolved the issue. Three minutes total, shouldn't cost you a show. The hardest problem we had to resolve was an installer error in the subnetmask address in the projector/NAS screen. Took forever to figure out and fix that.

We've been very happy with the projectors, and now that our guys are trained to install, we've had a lot less problems with things.

Good luck! Email me if you want someone to try to talk you though a problem.

Mike Brodeur
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2013 04:25 PM      Profile for Mike Brodeur   Email Mike Brodeur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We purchased the machine in February. We did contact the vendor about the issue, and they were somewhat helpful, but the issue still exists. They said it might possibly need the IMB replaced. I believe the warranty is parts only, and 2 years. Christie didn't exactly say those words, but it is the impression I got. I cannot remember the name, I just remember an impolite female voice after a long time on hold.

The projector is not installed on a UPS, nor is the NAS. These will be being purchased this weekend. The projector isn't installed in a booth. It is installed on a platform on the back of a room, suspended from the ceiling. It is boxed in on 5 sides, with the top open, and the optional factory exhaust fan installed, being routed through the ceiling. The temperatures on the panel read from 95 degrees (filtered air intake) to 150 degrees (ICP FPGA).

I have no installer to call, because we installed the unit ourselves. I will be checking the integrity of the CAT 6 cables with a loop tester this weekend as well.

Didn't see the need at the time to pay for an installation when there is just a projector, processor, and NAS to install. The rest was already there. I am now learning (from these posts) of some of the unmentioned quirks of the system, that a pro installer would have known about.

Also, good to know about not having the keys in a folder when ingesting.

Thanks for the help..

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
95 degrees is too hot! Putting the projector in a box like that is asking for failures.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How'd you make out Mike?

Peter Khamas
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2013 07:44 AM      Profile for Peter Khamas   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Khamas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we are based in the middle east where we are 80% Christie. one of the largest chains here has just ordered 2210's to replace all solaria one units due to too much down time.

Mike Brodeur
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 09:12 PM      Profile for Mike Brodeur   Email Mike Brodeur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still fighting the issue. We got the projector cooled down. I have gotten through to support a few times since then. Apparently my first contact was having a bad day. The last few people have been pleasant to deal with.

We are still having issues. Usually the show stops once every few days, but the issue can be corrected. Once in a while we actually lose a show, and have to refund. I tried running the update packages again today, as per the advice of a Christie support agent, but the projector failed to update each time. I'm starting to lean towards a hardware issue instead of a software issue.

Our cinema just was granted first run movies, for the first time in almost 20 years. Hoping to get this fixed for our first, first-run movie, Man of Steel...

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-04-2013 10:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Cooled down is good.

Are the projector, server and network switch ALL on a UPS yet?

If not, you WILL continue to have problems!!

Get your installer's ass back in there to do it right.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 07:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to edit my post above expired, but have to change the last line to: "Get your bosses to buy a UPS (MINIMUM capacity of 1500va) to protect the projector electronics, NAS and sound processor at the minimum."

Mike Brodeur
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2013 03:03 PM      Profile for Mike Brodeur   Email Mike Brodeur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a new PIB shipped to us. I just installed it, now I'm updating (or "upgrading") the whole system.

According to Christie, there was a pattern in the errors that led them to believe it was the PIB failing.

Will update after this weekend after the opening of Man of Steel...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: