Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Bulb reccomendations for NC2000C

Author Topic: Bulb reccomendations for NC2000C
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2013 02:04 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are changing our bulb out this week, which means its time to buy a replacement for the storage room.

We currently are running a Philips 3000W bulb as that is what was supplied to us when we purchased the projector at about 70% at the beginning of its life and now at 90% at replacement time.

I see the Ushio is about $300 more for their DXL-30SN2 as compared to the Philips XDC 3000NH. I don't mind paying the difference in price if the bulb is considerably more reliable.

Screen: 30' wide scope, side masking, about 15-20 year old screen in good condition with some gain (not sure of exact number, but far from a silver screen).

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-14-2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USHIO. No question.

- Carsten

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ushio is really the only option for digital bulbs in my opinion. I've had a few too many problems with the whole range of Philips bulbs, so I say spend the little bit extra and get the way better bulb. [beer]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-14-2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the Ushio DXL-40SCN for our 3D houses and the Christie CXL-30SC for 2D houses. Both bulbs have put a good steady light on screen through the full 1500 hour warranty life and we have yet to have any problems.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-14-2013 05:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DXL-20SN3 will likely put out the same amount of light as the Phillips 3KW lamp. Furthermore, the DXL-20SN3 will last longer and hold its light better.

For whatever reason, Ushio really doesn't seem to go for 3KW in the NEC They tend to jump from 2KW to 4KW...if you look at the lumen output of the 3KW compared to the other two you'll see why. They make THREE types of 4KW lamps for the NC2000C...a long-life, a mid-range and a high-brightness (but relatively short life). the long life one DXL-40SCN is rated for 1500 hours and puts out about 11,900 lumens.

You can go the "film" lamp route and put in a UXL-30SC but be prepared for a typical film lamp fall off (about 20% drop in 100 hours).

For your scope picture if you have 1.0 gain (I know you say you have some gain...but how do you know this?) you need 9600 lumens...the DXL-20SN3 is going to net you about 9000 lumens throughout its life. So your scope image is going to be a tad dark with respect to 14fL at the end of the lamp's life. If you really do have a gain screen...say 1.4 then the 2KW Ushio is going to cover you just fine.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2013 04:50 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the screen label and it is a Technikote XR171. A little research says it may be a 1.5 gain.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: