Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS-200 Cues

Author Topic: Dolby DSS-200 Cues
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2013 07:54 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I add cues for sound and dimmers to the server? Now it only had the projector and DFC-100 cues. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-12-2013 08:12 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby cinema servers only recognize Dolby CP650, CP750, and CP850 audio processors: their cues are available when you configure the server and processor properly. Same with projectors, the DSS downloads the available commands from the projector and adds them to the build screen.
Dolby servers do not allow ethernet control of non-Dolby equipment other than projectors. There may be a way to do it but I haven't seen one, and the Dolby techs I've asked just say "Nope".
You can use serial control but this is generally limited to controlling one serial device (multi device solutions exist but are uncommon). You just click "this auditorium uses serial control" and the serial control tabs appear.
The usual solution is to add a serial controlled automation device. I am familiar with the Jnior unit, and it has pretty amazing capabilities. There are others but I haven't used them. With a Jnior controlled from the serial port you can control up to 16 relay outputs for control of dimmers or sound processors. You can also use it for ethernet control of any number of devices - the Jnior will convert serial commands from the DSS into network messages. The Jnior can also connect to a serial controlled device and pass serial commands from the DSS or convert simple DSS commands into complex serial strings for controlling things like video scalers, live theatre dimmer boards, or Crestron automation systems.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-12-2013 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For just masking and dimmer, the GPO relays built into the DSS200 may be sufficient too. You will need to modify the GPIO xml file if you want the cues to have the names you want (you can modify them to latch, pulse...and such too). There is an example XML file in the back of the installation manual and is also often on the release notes.

I prefer to use an outboard automation from the eCNA line (Eprad/Strong).

Francois Bouzigues
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2013 03:00 AM      Profile for Francois Bouzigues   Email Francois Bouzigues   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
the GPO relays built into the DSS200 may be sufficient too. You will need to modify the GPIO xml file if you want the cues to have the names you want (you can modify them to latch, pulse...and such too). There is an example XML file in the back of the installation manual and is also often on the release notes.
Hello.

This part interest me a great deal. I just had a look at the manual, and found the example. Still, if you don't mind, could you provide me an example of fadder 4.0 cue for instance ?

<OutputPin pin="5" polarity="HIGH" type="audio">
<PulseOutput name="<i am not sure>" width="1000"/>
</OutputPin>

The part I don't quite get is : PulseOutput name, latch and so on... What shall i put there to get cues to trigger a precise fadder level.

With a doremi, i send something like
fader_level=40\r\n

Can i put directly the serial command ? As a pulse, latch output ?

Many thanks for your answer. You would help me a great deal.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-16-2013 05:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GPIO isn't going to help you with the Fader. If you have a Dolby CP750 or CP650, the Fader can be set via Ethernet (while in cues, click on the "Sound" tab and there should be a "Volume" cue...this only applies to those two processors though. If you have another brand processor, you'll need an automation system and create serial cues that send fader information to the particular processor.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2013 07:39 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a beta version of the USL JSD-60 sound processor firmware that adds a command jsd60.sys.tcp_send that lets you send arbitrary text to an arbitrary port at an arbitrary ip address. You can connect the JSD-60 to the serial port on the DSS-200, then have it tell the JSD-60 to send commands to other devices. Let me know if you'd like to try it.

Thanks!

Harold

Francois Bouzigues
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2013 09:48 AM      Profile for Francois Bouzigues   Email Francois Bouzigues   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in fact, it is to pilot a CP 650. I know the existence of the volume cue in the GUI of the DSS200.

The thing is, using a TMS, the Volume cue is sent without parameters. And by default, the volume is set to 7.0. The only option for the operator is to adjust the volume in every playlist of every server manually (making the TMS much less interesting).

In all the sites i am interested in, there is a a DSS220, a CP650 and a jnior. I really need to have various fadder levels. I will read more about commmunication between DSS 220 and jnior, and between jnior and CP650.

Thanks for the "wrong way" Steve Guttag. You probably save me some days.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-16-2013 11:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on the TMS you have though. For instance, if you have a Cinedigm TMS, then one can issue volume commands via the TMS...all of our Cinedigm systems do so. Obviously, if you are using the Dolby TMS system then volume commands are accommodated across all Dolby servers. It really is up to the capabilities of the various TMS software as to how well they accommodate volume cues.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-16-2013 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I prefer to use an outboard automation from the eCNA line (Eprad/Strong).
You must have meant to say you are stuck using an outboard automation with Dolby Servers. Very few use the GPIO on any make of servers and home made GPIO interfaces may not meet codes in some areas.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-16-2013 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I use the eCNA automation on all servers, not just Dolby...I meant what I said. The Dolby GPIO uses actual relays so you can go ahead and hook up your masking or lights if that is the level of automation you want. I have automations do automation work, servers do server work...etc. In the end, our systems try to be pretty agnostic when it comes to equipment brands and the user interface. We have mixed systems that have Dolby, GDC, NEC and Barco with just about all combinations...via the eCNA automation...the cues are identical to all systems. We also use the eCNA as part of our Cardinal Care system as a means of control and logging.

So "stuck" is not the word I would use.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-16-2013 08:38 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not seeing the Sound tab
This might mean that your DSS200 isn't properly configured. I believe this is what Dave Macaulay was referring to in his post (above). During configuration of the DSS200, you have to specify that a Dolby audio processor (CP650, 750, DMA8) is connected.

If you *are* seeing the Sound tab
Yes, the Volume cues default to 7.0 when placed into a show, but then you can double-click on each individual cue (in the show) to open a dialog box, which is where you can adjust parameters such as the Volume level, and even a time-code offset. You can do this for each Volume cue.

Francois Bouzigues
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2013 10:47 AM      Profile for Francois Bouzigues   Email Francois Bouzigues   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Manny. I do see the sound tab. And I know the right clic (double clic) thing.

The idea was to do everything from the tms (not dolby nor cinedigm), without going back on every server to modify every volume cue in every playlist.

I guess extra work is needed on this tms.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: