Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ingest 5.1 & 7.1 content question ??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ingest 5.1 & 7.1 content question ???
Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
When I recieve a DCP, usually it consists of the feature 5.1 (OV) and 7.1 (VF).If you need the 7.1, how do you ingest? ingest the 5.1 first, then ingest the 7.1; Or just ingest the 7.1 ???
The same with the non sub feature and sub feature
???
 -

|  IP: Logged

Robert Keeney
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 12:19 PM      Profile for Robert Keeney   Email Robert Keeney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duc:
Yes I ingest the 5.1 first and then the 7.1. I have also ingested them both at the same time without any issues.

Thanks,
Robert

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 5.1 and 7.1 are separate and complete DCPs. It makes no difference what order they are ingested. If you use the CC or OC versions, sometimes you have to ingest the FTR version before the CC or OC.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is really no ingest at the same time when it comes off of the same hard drive. The important thing is that the OV version (original Version) is down loaded first. In this case the 5.1 version because that has the entire content for the movie. Then you download the 7.1 version. That only has the sound related files for 7.1. This file is then joined with the original file and this is the one you would use to run on the playlist.

Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank Robert,
Me too, but a lot of work-mate just ingest only the 7.1, and the feature is still good. Does sound effect of the 7.1 lose ??

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't use the 7.1 at my location but I thought you had to do the 5.1 first. Anyway to verify this look at the end of the file name extension of the 7.1. If it has a VF at the end then you will need to download the 5.1 first then the 7.1. If it has an OV at the end then you only need to down load the 7.1 version.

Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I am ingesting like that. But i will try being to do 2 case at 2 cinema. and then compare result.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the 7.1 is a "VF" (Version File) you need the "OV" (Original Version) on your server as well, which usually is the 5.1. Doremi SW should take care of it, hence if you load a VF and the server realises that the linked OV is not loaded, it will load it for you.

Unless the 7.1 version is another OV - complete DCP, which would be a massive waste of space! - and in that case you can just ingest the 7.1.

The general rule is to ingest OV first and then the VF even though - as said - modern software will take care of it.

A "VF" is a CPL which only add the relevant bit of content. For example, the 7.1 VF adds the 7.1 soundtrack but will read the Video track from the OV. A subtitled VF works in the same way: there is no need to create a new DCP - 200GB-ish - for adding only a few kilobytes of subtitles: they would usually create a VF which when played uses Audio and Video of the OV and just adds the subtitles track.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last three 7.1 features I have run in my theatre (Croods, GI Joe, and Oz) have all been OV 7.1 DCPs. This is the norm, as far as I know, because I have never had to have both the 5.1 and 7.1 versions present on a player in order to run the 7.1 content.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-30-2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're running a Dolby server there. Just ingest the version you want. The server is smart enough to get what it needs. There is none of this "ingest this one first then that" nonsense.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, take a look at the CPLs on your disk, it's very possible that they're named OV but they're in fact VF's.
If they were OV's, that would mean that you have two big DCP's on your disk (two folders, two video tracks), and that is just a big waste of space and time.

I think with some older doremi SW if you ingested the VF without ingesting the OV first, the ingest process would be successfull, but the CPL would not show on the cinelister. After ingesting the OV, it would re-appear though! [Smile]

I think that's why the distribution is still recommending that silly procedure!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 05:03 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, that is not the case. The DCPs for the 5.1 and 7.1 are almost the same size - the 7.1 is maybe 3GB larger. Plus, my LMS only sends the 7.1 to the player.

I guess it's possible they are sharing a video file, but nothing I'm seeing suggest that much.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the versions usually share the base video file.

If we ever copy more than one version on the second one takes like 2 minutes to copy because most of the content is already there.

This is on a Dolby server

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-30-2013 06:01 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the distribution drive contents on a computer (not the server) you'll see the OV folder has the image files and sound files. The "VF" folder just has the sound files (both have the other assorted files that make up a DCinema package). Some servers look at the CPL and link to missing files if they're found in another folder. Dolby servers do this. Doremi servers do not: if you load the VF without the OV on a Doremi the content will not be complete. Once the OV is also ingested a Doremi server should find the missing files and be able to play the movie, but it's safer to ingest the OV first.
Anyway, if the image files are identical they are not duplicated on the drive even though it looks that way on a Dolby server.

Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 08:44 PM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use server Dolby. I know (I had did this)that if we ingest only the 7.1 (VF) or only the sub ver. (VF) , everthing will OK. Dolby server will help me. But What I care is "Does the 7.1 sound effect lose?"
tks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: