Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ghosting issues with 3D versions of GI Joe: Retaliation

Author Topic: Ghosting issues with 3D versions of GI Joe: Retaliation
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-27-2013 03:25 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious to know if anyone has previewed their copies of G.I. Joe: Retaliation. If you have, did you notice any ghosting issues.

I noticed this when I watched the 3D 7.1 version on my MasterImage/NEC2000C projector. I was told the same issue was present on a RealD/NEC2000C projector. I don't know if it was the 5.1 or 7.1 version (although I'm guessing it doesn't matter.

I feel it's is unlikely to be a hardware issue as the ghosting was intermittent. Some points it was only visible on text, and sometimes it was visible on background elements. There is one scene near the end where a pistol is the main element on the screen and there was a very noticeable double image. The ghosting is seen in various different places on the screen, and not every scene had obvious ghosting.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-27-2013 06:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a similiar report for 'Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters' in germany. Ghosting is always there with polarizing systems, but usually not to the extent that a lot of patrons complain. In this case at one cinema, there were a lot of complaints, and the projectionist reported that he could see very obvious ghosting/double images with only one eye opened.

These were RealD/Z-Screen installations. Still trying to find out what it is. All screens have been modified to HFR for TheHobbit. Maybe the Z-Screen timing was adjusted for HFR, maybe Ghostbusting has been deactivated or not been activated after the switch to IMB for HFR.

Maybe we are seeing more movies mastered towards 8-10fl now, which naturally will show more ghosting and weaknesses of RealD.

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-27-2013 06:47 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update: I tested the 5.1 3D CPL on a different projector and saw the same ghosting issues.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-27-2013 09:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which 3D system?

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-27-2013 11:37 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is on the MasterImage system in my theatre. The RealD system is in our sister theatre.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-28-2013 06:37 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Strange. Maybe this DCP or CPL is mastered for increased brightness?

Do you have a 3D trailer of this feature to compare?

- Carsten

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-29-2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
There is one scene near the end where a pistol is the main element on the screen and there was a very noticeable double image.
I watched the 3-D last night. We use RealD and this was clearly noticed. I believe it is just a crappy execution of the 3-D conversion. You would think that 8 or so months of converting would avoid things like this but I guess not.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched GI Joe in IMAX 3D and found ghosting in the film as well. It was noticeable with dark backgrounds that had light figures next to it. Looks like 3D conversion has a way to go.

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2013 02:46 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Saw about 45 minutes of the movie (Barco DP2K32B - Dolby DSS 200 - Master Image).

For a 3 D conversion, i though it was correct. But nevertheless some shoots look odd. I really think it a post production problem. The movie was not made for a 3 D presentation... For instance, some shaking cams effects during action scenes are awful in 3 D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: