Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "Ben Hur" -- DCP Sound Sync Issues

Author Topic: "Ben Hur" -- DCP Sound Sync Issues
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-26-2013 07:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ben Hur" 4K DCP is out of sync here -- is anyone else running this? Are you having sound behind picture?

We've been running DCP's with 100ms delay for over 2 years. I'm running this with no delay, and sound still seems to lag behind picture by about a frame.

Actually, the lip sync is "rubbery" -- meaning the discrepancy seems inconsistent -- sometimes bad, sometimes worse.

Update -- It's definitely gotten worse -- we're about a full second out of sync now.

Here's the link to the "Ben Hur" thread in the Feature Info Forum.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-26-2013 10:21 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Rebooted both DSS200 and CP650 during intermission. Part Two played fine.

I am testing Part One and, so far, the problem seems to have cleared.

In other words, the DCP seems fine now.

CP650 is running version 2.3.6.6
DSS200 is running version 4.3.5.13

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby show players have a nasty little habit of randomly going out of sync slightly. Hit pause, pause the movie for a second, then hit play. That always worked for us when we had Dolby.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-27-2013 12:07 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks -- I'm documenting this now for the other operators -- I'll add that as the first line of defense -- then a full stop/restart (that's how we used to get our subtitles back sometimes) -- then, if those don't work, a full reboot.

To err is human, but to really f*ck it up, you need computers! [Big Grin]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-27-2013 12:31 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had that happen on a 30 second clip prior to a feature start for a premiere.....pausing during the QC check worked and at show time no problem.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-27-2013 01:00 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious if anyone reported this to Dolby when it happened..?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this too and have reported to Dolby. However the sync is was on the order of seconds off...not just a little! Pause/start seemed to get it resynced. Dolby did see the issue in the logs too. The 4.5.4 (2) can also exhibit the problem and that is the one that I reported the problem to Dolby.

I don't know if I've ever heard of this problem with 4.5.3 (9)...which I maintain is the most stable non-DCI version of the software.

Note, I've had other oddities with other brands too...like odd channel remapping...in that case, only rebooting solved it.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-27-2013 06:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word from Dolby is that the black frames during the Overture are the culprit.

I was informed that the black frames were heavily compressed, possibly to save disk space.

This problem came up a year ago with "Ben Hur" and this was their finding.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: