Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 7k bulb worth it?

Author Topic: 7k bulb worth it?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-22-2013 09:53 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently started our first season with digital. My 86-foot screen is running a DP2K32B with a 6,500 watt bulb. I understand there's a 7kW bulb available. Based on my experience with our film gear, I'm not sure the results would be worth cutting the warranty in half, or if the increase would be noticed much.

Nobody seems to have a good answer to this, and I'm told I should try it out for myself.

Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-22-2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you will find that much of a difference, especially when you consider the operating cost.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2013 01:19 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the other theaters in my company uses 7k bulbs on occasion, but only to push just a little more light through the projector for 3D shows on their wall–wall, ceiling–floor screens. In that particular case, they come in handy. In any other case, I'd chalk it up as a total waste. Unless 6.5k is just barely giving you enough brightness, it ain't worth it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-24-2013 12:23 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda thought so.

Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-24-2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6.5KW was "optimized" for the DP2K-32B...I don't believe the 7K was.

A problem arises as one increases lamp size...the arc ceases to behave as a point source so a principle known as Etendue creeps up. The short of is...the smaller the aperture, the smaller the point of light needs to be in order to efficiently get through the aperture.

This is why, with film, 70mm could make use of the larger lamps much better than 35mm. It wasn't just the heat, as many would suspect, you can actually get MORE light from the larger arc on the larger aperture.

The same holds true for digital (the physics has not changed). The smaller apertures can not make as much use of larger lamps because the arcs are getting larger too. The is one of the several reasons why an S2K projector will not be as bright as a .98" projector running the same lamp (and will top out at about 2-2.2KW)...likewise, the 1.2" projectors can make better use of the larger lamps than the .98" ones and so forth.

It is also one of the reasons that lasers are the promise of the larger screens (e.g. Drive-Ins) in the future...one can get a lot of light in a small point. One can also get a narrow bandwidth color without having to split white up with a prism, direct the light to three DLP chips and then recombine the same light you split up (and remember, the wavelengths of the lights are very different so the index of refraction is different for each color...so it is very tricky to do all of this).

I know with film systems, I could get a BRIGHTER picture with a 6KW lamp than with a 7KW lamp using the same manufacturer's lamp on 35mm film.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-24-2013 05:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the two lamps could have different behaviour, particularly if they are from different manufacturer. It may drop the output quicker than the 6.5kW for example. At that point you may end up with a little more light for 100hrs and then less light than the 6.5kW.
Rather than investing in more lamps, it may be worth replacing - every now and then - the reflector. I have not direct experience with it, but manufacturers do recommend replacing it after a while. I think Christie recommends every 8 or 10 lamp changes? Particularly with a big lamp (more heath and more light for the mirror to handle) it makes sense to me.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2013 10:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let along you only get 300 hrs warranty on a 7k bulb whereas 500 hrs warranty on a 6.5k bulb.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: