Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » who has installed SONY SRX-R515P (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: who has installed SONY SRX-R515P
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings friends.

who has experience on sony SRX-R515P?

here in Mexico all the big cinema companies almost finish the transition to digital. we are on that way but a little slow and we are checking all the options but im not sure what to say about Sony. we have some Barco and christie projectors but the big ones and just read about Sony.
just now im thinking on barco.
any advice?

thanks

mike moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-21-2013 07:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one running for a couple of days now. Seems they made their way to europe earlier than to the Americas.

I think a dozen or so have been installed in germany so far during the last weeks. Equipment supply is good, but installer supply is limited ;-)

Do you want/need 4k? Do you want/need high contrast?

Don't know if it makes sense to install one into a mixed DLP environment (TMS?), but depends on your profile. The image is outstanding. Solid blacks and blinding highlights.

Of course there is no in-the-field longterm experience with these UHP lamps - but the initial brightness even DCI corrected is mindblowing. We use two 450Watt lamps at 80%/100% current setting on out 7.20m/9.20m 1.6 gain screen and still operate far above 48cd/14fl. Server, projector, IMB and UPS then consume just about 1.3-1.4kW when playing.

The software is not yet ready, it's an initial release, but all show operations work solid, no crashes or show stops.

- Carsten

Jure Maticic
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2013 02:14 AM      Profile for Jure Maticic   Email Jure Maticic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, have you tried the HDMI inputs for alternative content yet?
Jure

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-03-2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have and they work ok. No sound decoded (haven't really tried!). A big advantage is that you can set "full range" or "limited" when it comes to RGB levels. DLP machines are set to "full range", most BD players are "limited" range and cannot be changed to full.
The result it that your black is not black but grayish. You also lose contrast. This can be corrected on a DLP if you have some sort of scaler, adjusting Brightness and Contrast using a test chart from the player, but who does it?

The downside: no scaling available.

As Carsten said, the contrast ratio of those machine is fantastic. Something we were missing in the cinema industry.
If the lamps do what SONY claim, the 515 would be an even greater machine.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2013 03:15 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it upscale 2k content to fill the panel?

Thank you.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-03-2013 04:54 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-03-2013 06:07 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it does. Otherwise the HDMI inputs would be unusable. However, currently the scaler is not configurable like established external scalers. It jut takes everything and scales it to full screen.

We have used the HDMI inputs already a few times for BluRay showings, and use it continously for pre-show advertizing. They operate flawlessly. We have a datasat AP20 between our HDMI sources and the SRX-R515. It will do HDMI switching and audio deembedding/decoding.

HDMI inputs support all necessary parameters for colourspace, -depth, colourmodel, screen masking, etc. So e.g. it's easy to set up presets for letterboxed flat and CS features on BluRays.

They also support 3D in various formats (haven't tested it, though, we don't have a 3D lens yet).

- Carsten

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It takes everything and scales it to full screen
That is what I would expect and glad to hear, thanks for the confirmation.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-04-2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah right, yes, it scales everything to 4K, I gave it for granted sorry guys!
But as far as I know if your source is - say - a 576p DVD (or simply an HD source) you cannot scale it to full screen.

Am I correct?

Thanks

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-07-2013 06:09 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not tested it myself. The installer said they had tested every imaginable timing, and it only failed on 24i ;-) However, I don't know wether that also meant every imaginable resolution. But I can give it a try. I guess something like 576i is a must for DVD showings, so I guess it will work. It definetly has a setting for deinterlacing man/auto.

- Carsten

Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2013 02:14 PM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 14 of the Sony 515s. For almost a month now. No issues and the picture looks pretty damn good. AND they are extremely quiet. However, there was a little bit of lag in communication - they do not support any 3d systems YET, and screen to screen SPL transfers are not supported at this time. Currently at version 1.0 on the software. We run them on Sony's new XCT-S10 IMB. The OS is pretty bare-bones. I was pretty spoiled by the Dolby IMBs we had. I'm anxious to see the updates. We are also using the new USL Inc. JSD-60 sound processors. These things are AWESOME and incredibly small and efficient.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-12-2013 03:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have ANY network functions/content transfers working?

We only have a single 515 and so far no real need for network transfers. The installation manual is not too clear about the necessary network setup. We have projector/server control working over the control network/auditorium connection (also remote control for AP20 from other devices on the network - not the Sony S10)

However, we could not get the data port/network to work for testing content transfers.

There is an early software errata document, but it makes no statements regarding content network.

BTW - official RealD AND Sony 3D is supported now - both use the same Sony split lens. The Sony version is a simple one-time buy, no license/ticket share. At least in europe. Sonys RealD contract for the US may be different.
I don't know wether the Sony 3D variant also let's you enable the (RealD patent) ghostbusting module!? The Ghostbusting option is already visible in the server functions, but due to the lack of 3D lens, of course we could not test ist yet. Normaly, ghostbusting needs a RealD license.

A spectral separation system is in the making, and the 515 will have enough brightness with the 450w lamps on small and medium screens for it. We are waiting for this to get around the silver screen. Will also use the split lens.

- Carsten

Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we do have all projectors connected to a chipset via CAT6 that is slow as hell to upload and transfer. Right now, it's just easier to ingest content on each XCT individuality and build the SPLs/CPLs from the command center (PC in booth with giant monitor and access to each GUI via Firefox.) The biggest hassle is every Thursday when we move films around to different houses for the week, we can't just transfer SPLs/CPLs screen-to-screen via the network. Completely new build every week for every show. Takes all day. As far as 3D goes, we're stuck without till late May I believe for whatever reason.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-12-2013 06:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it seems content transfer IS working? Wondering what I am doing wrong here.

Do you know how they are connected? Do you have a separate content network between the data ports of all S10, or can you use the control network for content transfers?

- Carsten

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony SRX515 owners now that youve spent a little time with the projector are you still happy with its performance. Has there been any software updates sense first delivery and any further news surrounding 3D outside of RealD.

Thank you!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: