Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Which bulb is better in a barco?

Author Topic: Which bulb is better in a barco?
Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2013 11:55 AM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious what you guys think. My Barco 23B came with a 4K Osram short arc lamp, I believe the XBO DHP CL model but I'm not 100% certain until I check again. I've heard many different things about different lamps. I mainly used osram on 35mm, and an occasional Phillips. Never used Ushio, and I think I used Christie once. I've heard Phillips makes a good line of digital short arcs. I've also heard of 4200 and 4500 watt lamps, but I don't know if you could/should use them in a 23B.

My question is... What brand/model do you guys think would be the brightest, highest performing lamp I could have in my machine?

I know the more potent one is, the shorter the lifespan. Not that I want to change a bulb every month, but for the most part, even on 35mm, we kept up pretty well with changing them. When we got close to the end of the warranty hours, we typically we're pulling her out and popping in a new. I may have found an old xenon from 1981 when I was cleaning the booth out for digital, but she hasn't been in service for a long long time!

Anyways, I'm interested to see how you guys weigh in on the better bulb.
Thanks!
Jay

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ushio. Nothing else is worth bothering with.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2013 02:12 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We started off using Osram bulbs when our site first opened. About a year later, we switched to Ushio and never looked back. It's been about four years since the switch, and we've only had one issue with a defective bulb. Ushio paid for it and the reflector we lost because of it, and everything has been hunky-dory ever since. Definitely go with Ushio if you can.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-21-2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USHIO DXL-40BAF for the 4k bulbs. 1000hr warranty.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2013 06:13 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My former tech manager told me a few weeks ago that because of upcoming new environemtal laws in Europe, Osram was about to stop manufacturing their Xenon lamps. Is this true?
We also switched to Ushio a while ago.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2013 08:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If that is true, that is the best news of 2013 so far.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-21-2013 09:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not true. Speciality lamps are not regulated. Commodity lamps are.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: