Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 - build menu weirdness

Author Topic: DSS200 - build menu weirdness
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2013 05:10 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have searched the forum and have not seen anything like this reported before.

We have a DSS200 running 4.5.4 (1)

On the build menu, it occasionally gets confused. The "Shows" in the top left section do not contain the proper playlists, instead show another playlists content, also you cant mouse click on any show you want, but it will jump to another one, usually at the bottom.

It is kind of hard to explain.

I will try to upload some pictures later.

rebooting the server always clears it... but it has happened 4 times now.

Any ideas?

-
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-19-2013 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any reason you are running your DSS200s on 4.5.4 (and it should be build 2, not 1)?

I ask because 4.5.anything seems to not be the best version for DSS200s at the moment. If you don't have any CAT 745s in your world, then 4.4.2 may be a better version (and doesn't require any KDMs from 4.5...it has the same CAT 862 software). Now if you have a mixed theatre with some DSS220s or you have CAT 745s then 4.5.4 is the latest and most stable version for that. I know that I too am eagerly waiting for the next release. I have not experienced the problems you have mentioned but I have had other oddities.

Have you reported this to Dolby? Include your screen shots for clarity.

-Steve

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2013 07:23 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve - our installers set it up with 4.5.4(1) when it was installed, coincidentally 4.5.4(2) was released 3 days later

Just wanteted to see if anyone else has seen this before I report it to our NOC and / or dolby

And we are a single screen so its our only server, and we are 2D only so using the built in mediablock (Cat862) and HDSDI cables

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-19-2013 09:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge, 4.5.4 (1) was not a release version. Since you are a single, I suggest giving 4.4.2 (10) a try. It will be faster to boot, fast to "Check licenses" and less likely to give you the quirks you describe. At the very least, go to 4.5.4 (2) since that is the release version.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2013 02:18 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just run the upgrade disc? I will try 4.5.4 (2) first

I didn't realise you only.need a kdm it the cat862 firmware changes thought you needed it for any type of upgrade

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2013 08:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the KDM is tied to the CAT 862 only. And an "Upgrade" disc is all you need. Sometimes, going backwards (from a higher number to a lower number) you need to use an install disc or at least "unconfig" the system since the higher version may have features the lower version does not have.

Note, I think you'd be surprised at how much faster 4.4.2 runs on a DSS200/CAT 862 combo. 4.4.2 was essentially the "fix" for 4.4.0...which was the first DCI compliant version. 4.4.2 also has the server try to re-establish subtitles if they stop working...automatically. If you look at the release notes...what does 4.5 get you at the moment, in your application? But definitely get to a release version.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2013 09:14 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I ran the upgrade disk to 4.5.4(2)

What a completely painless, hassle free experience! didn't even need to press a button!

Im not sure of the differences between build 1 and 2 but build 2 is a HECK of a lot faster when you hit play and it "Checks licenses and content"

I will keep an eye on it for the moment and see what this release is like. But so far, I think its considerably snappier just using the interface. Perhaps build 1 was some sort of debug version?

You are right about 4.5.4 in general though, according to the changelog all the updates seem geared entirely to Cat745 / IMB fixes with nothing changed for the Cat862 / non-imb stuff

Anyway, thanks for the help Steve, much appreciated [Smile] I will let you know if any weirdness happens

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gavin,

Be very careful with software upgrades.

Where did you obtain the upgrade CD?

If you didn't get it via/with DcineX's assistance and blessing you might be in breach of contract and that won't end well.

Just a heads up, hopefully it resolves your issue.

Pete

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2013 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Needless to say...any advice I may provide (and I'm sure this applies to everyone that posts)...is couched with the proviso that one has the authority to act upon the advice.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-20-2013 05:25 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On top of what has been said, software upgrades can go wrong. It happens. On a Dolby Server you just need to run an install disc, but then all your GPIO, serial, content, playlists would be gone.

Just keep that in mind!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-20-2013 05:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reported this very issue here.

Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing with the DSS200:
If you control it with vnc and have the controltab up - DONT TOUCH THE NUMKEYS! I had a spreadsheet underneath the vnc-window and made the mistake not to click on it before I hit some numbers and enter...poof, black screen and it went to that position in the timeline...The lock function is not idiot-proof! [Razz]

Jonas Jakobsson
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2013 05:41 PM      Profile for Jonas Jakobsson   Author's Homepage   Email Jonas Jakobsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can confirm that this bug is still there in 4.5.4.2

The easiest way to get rid of it (without restarting the software) is to switch to another auditorium and then switch back from the drop-down list.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: