Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2200, Doremi IMB and HDMI in

Author Topic: Christie CP2200, Doremi IMB and HDMI in
Michael Carey
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2013 09:45 PM      Profile for Michael Carey   Email Michael Carey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everybody,

I posted this over in the AVS Forums and it was suggested I ask this question here too! My first post in here!

I'm involved with my local film society. We screen non-theatrical art-house, indie, other "weird" films. (society members only) at the local cinema. We started off with a small Epson presentation projector but in more recent times the cinema has upgraded to digital and we can use a BluRay player connected to a shiny new Christie CP2200 2K projector.

They have a Doremi ShowVault Digital Cinema Playback server and IMB. The IMB has a HDMI input and this is connected to a HDMI switcher with a Sony BluRay player and DVB-T set top box as inputs.

We are finding that when playing a DVD/BD content via the HDMI input the colors are "not right". Reds look orange, Blues have a purple shift and Greens are quite "muted" and look a little yellow, trees look like they are suffering drought conditions! It makes things look a little weird. The input from the DVB-T box has the same problem, and we have bypassed the HDMI switched to rule it out as well.

I looks like a color space issue, but I can't seem to find where this could be fixed. I presume it's handled within the Doremi IMB.

DCP content from the ShowVault looks fine.

Anyone here had any experience with the Doremi IMB HDMI input with the CP2200 that can offer some suggestions? I've asked the operators at the cinema to approach the company that installed the equipment for ideas too.

Regards,

Michael.

PORT LINCOLN
South Australia

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2013 10:18 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doremi Showvault/IMB converts the HDMI input to the same color space as cinema content so you will have to reselect the proper color space through the projector once you select the HDMI input. It is most likely set for 709.

Michael Stuart
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2013 11:16 PM      Profile for Michael Stuart   Email Michael Stuart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

We are also having a problem with the color space in the IMB, and it is exactly as you described. We are also experiencing audio issues where the sound will drop out and be replaced with loud white noise.

We have been working with Doremi to resolve the issue, and have confirmed our colors are correctly set.

If you haven't already, please contact Reneh Ghaenian:
rghaenian at doremilabs dot com

Maybe with your info we can resolve this for us both!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-16-2013 03:44 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BluRay Players and Set-Top Boxes have colour settings on their own - RGB/YCbCr, HDMI extended, etc. You should go through these settings make sure they are compliant with the IMB HDMI colorspace setting. Never use 'Auto' on a Player or Set-Top Box, but set it to a fixed parameter and keep it there.

- Carsten

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2013 03:59 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, the Doremi IMB HDMI port, the source of many hours of fun.

First of all the colorspace issue: the colorspace of the HDMI macro/channel, on the projector, should be set to the same as the internal input (XYZ). Colorspace of the HDMI input of the Doremi, can be set to auto, RGB709, XYZ, YcBcR709 og YcXcZ, either by defining a macro or by using the "Device Control" program found in the control panel. Some blu-ray players will work fine with auto, but others will need to have the colorspace defined manually.

Sound is really the dealbreaker. We have found that the sound works with some blu-ray players and not with others, no real reason why, they are set up in the same manner and yes, speakers have been blown because of the white noise issue, so we try not to use the HDMI as sound source but rather go though our AP20's

-Anders

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. In our testing with a IMB-4K on a NEC NC3240S, if the Blu-Ray player (we have a Samsung) or the PC/Mac is allowed to go into standby, as soon as it wakes up again white noise is sent to every channel. I'm assuming this has something to do with HDMI handshaking.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-18-2013 12:51 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And thanks to the stupid paranoia of the studios we are forced, at a professional level, to use the consumer grade "How Dummies Make Interconnections" standard in order to see high resolution images. [puke]

Thankfully, but for only a short time longer, you can still find players with RGB/component outputs online. But they are going away fast.

What is even more bothering is that a lot of the new HDMI only players don't even have analog (or digital) audio-only outs. [fu]

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2013 03:41 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your BluRay player has the option, turn off Deep Color.

Michael Stuart
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Michael Stuart   Email Michael Stuart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anders-

Thank You! I would have never thought to change the color space to XYZ from Rec 709 for the IMB-HDMI.

[Big Grin]

Michael Stuart
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael Stuart   Email Michael Stuart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi now has a FW update which seems to have resolved the audio issue!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: