Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can we now revise downward the cost of digital conversions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can we now revise downward the cost of digital conversions?
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some time what many theaters have been telling the public was that the total cost to convert to digital was $60,000 - $100,000 per screen (indoor, not drive-ins). Now that the newer smaller screen projectors/servers have started to be installed at prices in the $35,000-$40,000 range can we ditch that old range?

Most of the theaters yet to convert are pretty much smaller theaters with smaller screens?

Installers/Sales: Are any of you folks not looking at these as an option?

I wonder because I still see theater operators using the old range. Was wondering if it is because wanting to exaggerate (like the "we do not keep any of ticket sales" talk) or if these folks do not know about the units.

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-08-2013 10:11 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hunch is they'll go on quoting the high range -- this business is all about marketing hype. Basically, I see it breaking down like this:

If you've converted, the impression is that you "spared no expense" and "spent the money."

It also inflates the "divide" between home theatre and digital cinema. Now that cinema has gone digital, we need too make it seem as different, sophisticated, and out of reach as possible. Otherwise, people will figure it's only a matter of time before they can have this stuff in their home. And it probably is just a matter of time...but they don't need to know that just yet.

Meanwhile, those who have not converted can blame the delayed adoption on the "high" cost of conversion.

The industry completely threw 35mm film under the bus to sell the general public on the concept of digital projection, so I don't think there's much regard for facts here. If they had any regard for the facts, they would have thrown industry practices (printing as well as projection) under the bus, not film itself.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2013 07:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The truth is also that there is no "normal" cost. I've found that for our special venues/art houses (we'll those that do more than just show Hollywood movies)...the costs remain quite high to satisfy all of the needs. Drive-Ins...the current people aggressively converting to DCinema for the Summer of 2013 are pretty much required to purchase the more expensive projectors (they need as much light as possible) so they don't get a break...except maybe on sound.

I'm also finding that people are specifying these new projectors, which don't cost all that much less, when you add everything up) to the detriment of the quality of the presentation. There is nothing new there though. In film, people often under-specified both picture and sound because it was cheaper. Since these exhibitors are footing the bill themselves, it is their business to decide the level of quality they want to provide or can afford.

The marketing people are in full-force on this too. Most of the light specifications on these new projectors presumes a 1.8 gain screen...which will never meet SMPTE/DCI specifications for light distribution (unless curved...which brings up its own geometric complications) and the odds that one installing the "value-priced" projector will also replace their current screen with a 1.8 (properly curved or not) is unrealistic.

The total cost of the installation goes beyond the mere projector too. What about the sound. Most installers have opted to merely put a D/A converter in and use the existing film processor...which creates a bottleneck in most cases...you leave the weak-link in the signal path and probably also leave a poorly done EQ done (many years ago) in place too. But it is the "cheapest" and fastest installation, right? Most of our installations have also included a new sound processor. The sound improvement has been substantial...to the point that our clients have made a point of commenting that they were not expecting the sound to be that much better but it really made an impression on them. We now have uncompressed, LPCM audio. Why cram that through some noisy processor designed for a completely different format and possibly value engineered too much? And lets face it, DCinema audio processors don't cost what film processors did either.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-11-2013 01:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: Our initial estimates are in the $60-100,000 range. It will depend on what we want to do and what we feel we can skip for now. And, of course, on how fundraising goes.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2013 09:13 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much like the 'studios take 90% of all ticket sales' line, don't expect the 'digital costs $100k per screen' line to go away anytime soon.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2013 11:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are at 30' or smaller, you are likely still looking at $40k before any other things that may be in need of upgrade to get going in D-Cinema. If you are even a hair over that 30' mark, you are probably going to be in need of a full size unit and so you're back into the high $40k/low $50k range for just projector/lens/server. If you need to change electrical, HVAC, etc. you can quickly run that number up.

Still, the $100,000/screen digital conversion is mythical for the VAST majority of cinemas.

Bob Ezra
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2013 12:25 AM      Profile for Bob Ezra   Email Bob Ezra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said

"Why cram that through some noisy processor designed for a completely different format and possibly value engineered too much?"

In your opinion,would that include or exclude the cp650?

thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-12-2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650 is on the fence. There is a means for a fully digital path...only that the CAT790 has been a problematic board with numerous cases of "Robosound" If you are going in via the 6-channel input (analog) with a D/A converter upstream...then you have an unnecessary D/A - A/D conversion in the path as well as a 6-channel limitation. If you don't have the CAT 790, the cost difference between updating a CP650 versus a new DCinema processor narrows.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though no longer supported, the CP65 and 500 have been rock solid. What is wrong with leaving them in place if the amps, speakers, and EQ are proper?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-12-2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many cinemas still running only 35mm film are equipped with 5.1 surround? Doesn't the DCI spec require a 5.1 upgrade as part of a conversion from film to digital projection?

Sound has to figure in as an additional factor in why some theaters are choosing to close rather than convert. The last two theaters in my area showing film (the Sheridan Theater on Fort Sill and the Vaska Theater in the middle of Lawton) weren't equipped with any sort of surround sound, just speakers behind the screen.

While d-cinema DCPs carry significantly higher quality audio than the lossy compressed digital formats on 35mm film, I don't think very many theaters are doing their part to show off the quality differences. If a theater already had 5.1 surround the d-cinema system has been typically hooked into that existing system with hardly any sort of change.

Bob Ezra
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2013 11:31 AM      Profile for Bob Ezra   Email Bob Ezra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cat 790. What is Robosound?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-12-2013 01:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob see THIS THREAD for a discussion on robosound.

So far, I have about 75 active sites with a CAT 790 and have yet to encounter any instances of robosound. Steve however has several (hundreds?) so his experience has a larger installed base. But how he defines "numerous cases" is subject to debate. I'd like to know what exact number out of all his installs (and how many installs he has done total) which actually had the problem. In other words, what is the exact percentage of installs that experienced the problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-12-2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, We have hundreds of systems connected to CP650s and to my knowledge, all of them have Robosound issues when connected digitally. Some firmware seems to be less susceptible than others and some cat790 cards seem less prone than others, but I don't have any definitive data as I've never had the time to track it down specifically.

This is why we prefer to go into the analog 6 channel input, as that input never has any issues.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-12-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Brad.

I wonder why the installs I have done so far haven't had it crop up? Maybe because the home screening rooms don't grind out 4-6 shows a day?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-12-2013 04:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or you're just better than us.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: