Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Lens Files with Barco "EVENT" lenses? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lens Files with Barco "EVENT" lenses?
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2013 07:31 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setting up my drive-in tonight and trying to write lens files for the Barco DP2K-23B. Because of our throw distance (350 feet) we were spec'd an "EVENT" Zoom lens - (Barco Part No. R9852920) with a ratio of 5.5 - 8.5. The test patterns and pictures on the screen are absolutely gorgeous, but our installation technician tells me there is no way to save the lens macro files.

After spending $150k - am I REALLY gonna have to throw a test pattern on the screen and ZOOM the test pattern on screen in front of my customers to change from Flat to scope?

Anybody else dealt with this?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2013 11:03 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the lens was designed for a different projector, it may be that you can't save on the 23B. There is only a generic manual on that lens on My.barco.com. Best to call Barco and ask that question. Perhaps there is a work around the installer is not aware of. 1-866-465-3015 Their NOC personnel are still there at least till 1am Eastern time.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2013 11:42 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you opened up Communicator and seen if the lens is listed in the files sent with the machine? If not, try calling it a lens that IS listed and if it's a motorized zoom I don't see why you can't try storing presets and seeing if the are repeatable. If it's a manual zoom, put some tape around the zoom ring and mark scope and flat points on the tape. That's what we did with a DP100 that had a manual lens mount.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-05-2013 01:52 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming this is a motorized lens and the electrical connector mates OK:
1) Find the lens manufacturer, it should be printed or stickered or etched on the lens somewhere - Minolta, Kyocera, Innovision... whatever.
2) In "installation" "lens" choose a new lens. Look for the largest throw ratio lens by the same manufacturer. After changing, try a home & return. If that works try setting up two lens files and switch between them, if that works OK all is well. If not...?

The different manufacturers use different lens motor voltages and encoder specs and that's all set up when you choose that lens, but you can generally assume that all of one brand will be consistent.
The "oddball" lenses not in the projector lens list that I've installed have worked fine using this method.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-05-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Dave said.
Unfortunately you need to reset and home-and-return the lens every time you change it, but it should work ok.

Obviously, if you call the wrong lens file you'll have unpredictable results.

Possibly your installer was trying to set a lens file without resetting and homing the lens first.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 12:54 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Found out from another drive-in owner in Texas with the same lens to tell the projector to select the "INVISION 1.2 DC2K 2.8 - 5.5" lens file and it worked perfectly. Our installation tech tried it and it works flawlessly.

Hopefully this will help other folks out who run into the same problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-06-2013 12:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What you did is perfectly fine, but just out of curiosity, is the actual event lens you got an Invision brand?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-06-2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco warned me that using a different brand than your actual lens could damage the projector output board or the lens motor.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 09:11 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our lens is a Barco HD2k(5.5 - 8.5)SXGA+(8.1-12.4):1

All seems well with it currently. I'm hunting and pecking on this GDC touchpanel tonight trying to build my first shows.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2013 02:07 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Barry did is indeed OK. XLD lenses are compatible with DP2K-B series projectors (mechanical, motorisation,...)

In order to get the correct and accurate positioning, it is indeed important to select a lens of the same brand in Communicator software

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-07-2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait..you paid $150k and got a GDC server? [puke]

Wow. My sincere condolences.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-07-2013 03:54 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Considering that sometimes it's a challenge to recognise the lens brand (if the same lens is available from two manufacturers and there is nothing on the lens itself), I'm now scared!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-07-2013 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found it pretty easy to tell the brands.

Minoltas:

The lenses are often "straight" but the motor cover will wrap a bit around the lens. Look for the Minolta part number sticker on the lens. It will be of the form "A000....." If the lens caps are still on/with the lens, the front cap will have no writing but will step up and look almost like a drink coaster. The rear cap looks like a childs tea cup without the handle.

Fujinon:

These lenses are almost always stepped (particularly as compared to the Minolta or InVision). The front lens cap is plastic and will have the Fujinon name on the cap. The rear cap will look like a smaller version of the front cap but sans writing. The motor cover wraps around the lens a little.

InVision:

An understatement in packaging (just a strip of foam around the whole lens. An overstatement in weight. If you have a heavy torpedo in your hands, it is likely an InVision. The front lens cap is domed. The rear lens cap is flat but a very tight fit. The Motor cover is shaped like an "L" and is flat.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-07-2013 07:06 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any comment towards the quality of these three? Mechanical, picture-wise?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-07-2013 09:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I have found that they all have their good and bad batches. I think Minolta has had a better track record for me than the other two. The InVision issues with NEC projectors is also well known.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: