Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP650 automation via DCP-2K4 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP650 automation via DCP-2K4
James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2013 04:19 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a DCP-2K4 connected to a Christie CP-2000M projector via SDI for video and connected to a Dolby CP650 via AES for audio.

For alternative content (blu-ray, Satilltie, PC) we use one of the DVI inputs on the CP-2000M and connect the audio though the CP650's external 6ch analog inputs.

We use automation cues on the DCP-2K4 to automatically switch the CP-2000M projector video from DVI input to the SDI link whenever content plays from the DCP-2K4 and then switch it back when playback finishes.

However the CP650 audio channel switching has not been automated which is not ideal. When the DCP-2K4 runs we have to manually switch to Format U1 and then when we run alternative content connected by analog we have to switch the CP650 back to Format 11.

We would like to automate the switching of the audio similar to how we have the video input selection automatically switch on the CP-2000M projector. Ideally the DCP-2K4 would switch the CP650 to Format U1 when it plays any content and then switch back to Format 11 when done.

Both the DCP-2K4 and the CP650 have serial ports and automation connectors. The CP650 also has an Ethernet port but manual says 'for future automation use' so I expect automation via Ethernet is not possible.

What would be the easiest way to connect the DCP-2K4 and CP650 for automation? Should we use the serial ports or automation connectors?

If we use the serial ports is it as simple as connecting the two devices with a null modem cable and then using the automation cues on the DCP-2K4 to send the appropriate format_button commands to the CP650?

If we where to use automation connectors instead how would we connect them? Would we need to use two relays on the GPIO output of the DCP-2K4 and connect them to the inputs of the CP650 Automation I/O Connector? Does anyone recommend any particular product for this?

Once connected either way I assume then we can use the DCP-2K4 automation to setup some default macro cues that are always executed before and after any content is played to perform the automated audio switching?

I'm new to theater tech so any help is much appreciated. What would be the simplest approach? Is any online information describing such setups? Would serial be the easiest to setup?

I assume in bigger setups some type of automation hardware and software is used? We have other equipment that could be automated in an ideal situation. It would be nice to be able to send automation commands to all devices. I'm guessing there is special dedicated automation hardware of some type that can be sued to tie everything together with multiple serial and GPIO connections? Given that we have a pretty basic setup can we get away with using the DCP-2K4 for most automation needs?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-17-2013 07:40 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi has a technote and device library available for CP650 automation over ethernet.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-17-2013 11:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650's Ethernet port has been functional for some time now. Note, it is VERY primitive and can only support ONE device talking to it at a time. If you have a device that opens the port and keeps it open...that is it.

Serial and contact closure, I've found, to be more reliable.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2013 07:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Carsten and Steve point out, you can use Ethernet to automate the CP650 from the Doremi. Contact Doremi support for details.

However, it sounds like what you are looking for is an eCNA-5 or a JNIOR. The eCNA is a dedicated, built from the ground up cinema automation, and is incredibly flexible and powerful. The JNIOR is adapted from a more generic automation controller for cinema use. I don't know a whole lot about the JNIOR, but it is quite popular, and possibly less expensive. Either would be an excellent choice for your situation.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-18-2013 12:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doremi CP650 device "cueslib" xml file works OK, adding the CP650 to "library" in macro editor. You can select formats and change fader settings - a limited selection though. If you can edit xml files it's easy to add more fader settings to the cueslib file. I haven't had a major problem with the ethernet control but it does very rarely miss cues. The other option I've used is with a Jnior using the "serial control" option: it's fricking complicated to figure out the first time but works well - you send commands to the Jnior and it in turn controls the CP650 via (bulletproof) serial. This lets you control fader level as well. With relay contact automation you can only select format buttons and do mute/unmute. It's much better to be able to directly set a lower fader level for trailers without needing multiple digital input buttons with different fader presets.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-18-2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

You can also control the CP650 using the doremi serial, without using a Jnior.

James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2013 12:20 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I got the suggested CP650 device library XML from Doremi and so far it seems to be working pretty well via Ethernet.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-09-2013 04:48 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Are the xml libraries on the Doremi support website or did you ask them a copy?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-10-2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's on ftppublic - Doremis european support server, under products/DCP-2000/Option_pkg/cueslib

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-10-2013 09:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
got it, thanks!

I usually have several macro files on my laptop, from which I copy and paste the relevant section, so I don't have to amend anything at all, but it's nice to know there are libraries available, they may be useful.

Thanks again

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a little bit of help:

1. connect CP650 with doremi with ethernet cable via switch
2. Set IP address of CP650 OSD via menu to be in same range with doremi
3. Add new raw device to doremi with next parameters:
IP address
tcp protocol
port 61412

now you have to make some macros. go to the macro editor and add next macros

add->input/output->send msg->
msg label as you wish
device - name of your dolby
msg type - text
msg - raw ascii command

here is a list of some commands
mute on - mute=1\r\n
mute off - mute=0\r\n
format change to non sync - format_button=7\r\n
volume set to 3.5 - fader_level=35\r\n

if you wish i can compile everything for you. just send me pm.

BR

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-11-2013 04:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on the "how to create your own cuelib" the document ends with

quote:
This new cueslib can be preloaded on all new servers when you pre-configure them in your office or warehouse. You can also create and ingestible pkg.
How can that be done?

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2013 06:00 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hm... it can be a little "tricksy" [Smile]

you have to prepare xml's and the you must have root password for server and then to upload that xml to proper folder on server...

When we are talking about doremi almost everything is based on xml so you can download needed xml then change it and then upload it back.

Tell me exactly what you need and then i will write you an entire procedure.

BR

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-12-2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how to upload the XML by FTP, but the PDF says that a package could be created to be ingested.
Can you help me on that?

You have a PM!

Brenard Cabiles Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Email Brenard Cabiles Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2. Set IP address of CP650 OSD via menu to be in same range with doremi

do you have the procedure on how to change IP address of CP650? do i need to use a PC with a software or i can change it from the menu itself?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: