Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Blu-ray

Author Topic: Blu-ray
Chris Allen
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Chris Allen   Email Chris Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question. We have occasionally been showing older films on a blu-ray player, it's happened twice now that during playback the digital process has muted the film. We have a dolby cp750 processor.
Any help would be welcome
Chris.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2013 08:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the analog or digital output from the BR player? Have you tried swapping cables and players? Does movie sound (not from BR) normally work fine on that system? Does the problem happen on different disks?

Are you using an automation system that might be interfering with the processor?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-15-2013 08:39 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What BluRay player are you using? And how did you hook it up?

Via S/PDIF/Digital 4 or via multichannel Analog?

PS: Scott was essentially asking the same around the same time [Wink]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Above answers not withstanding:

Did it mute as it went into the feature from either the menu or a preview?

That would have been caused by the change in sound formats on the Blu-Ray disc itself.

An issue that's been discussed on many other posts is the fact that a lot of Blu-Rays have a DTS-MASTER format for their feature film. Menus, trailers, etc. will have a Dolby 5.1 format. It changes right as it goes into the feature. The only way to fix this would be to down mix the sound format to the available Dolby 2.0 audio that is probably the only one available. Or buy some expensive equipment to avoid this issue.

I am noticing this trend with the newer Blu-Rays.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-15-2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this happen, the trailers are fine then the feature silent. I found a setting in the player menu to only allow Dolby Digital or stereo, and never use DTS Digital. That fixed it.

I don't think this is his problem though. I read it to say the feature sound starts OK then goes silent.

- Does the CP750 stay in whichever input it should be for Blu-Ray? Has some automation device switched it for some unknown reason?
- Is the small LED below that digital input button lit? This indicates that a digital audio signal clock has been detected, if it's not lit then the digital audio signal from the blu-ray player is off or badly degraded.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: