Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Connect to laptop

Author Topic: Connect to laptop
Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2013 02:27 AM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!
How do I can connect Latop to projector CP2210/2220 (IMB CAT745) via HDMI or DVI port for event or private show. Now I use cine IPM2K.

Thanks a lot!

|  IP: Logged

James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2013 10:08 AM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, on the 745s I have installed the Hdmi Port isn't currently active. I have been told this is a Dolby software issue (server is on 4.5.4) but I would check that out

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-11-2013 01:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep using the IPM or use the DVI inputs. DVI and HDMI are the same. DVI does not carry audio. You can buy a cheap adaptor to convert HDMI into DVI.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-12-2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would probably mean that for DVI/HDMI use on projectors with the Dolby IMB, the marriage has to be broken and reestablished afterwards?

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-12-2013 06:54 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't understand why marriage would be affected. The HDMI port is on the IMB but the DVI ports are still there on the PIB board so one just selects a DVI input channel like with a non-IMB projector, no? Using the IMB HDMI input requires some control over the IMB, I haven't tried that but assume it would have to be done from the Dolby server console or in a playlist, like with the Doremi IMB.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-12-2013 06:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby server does not allow the use of the IMB HDMI input yet, that's the problem.

And to my knowledge, you can't select the projector-internal DVI inputs with the IMB marriage being active.

Confirm, anyone?

- Carsten

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2013 07:13 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

we have some dolby IMB's and that has no impact on the DVI inputs on the Barco projectors. The DVI inputs still work when you add a IMB.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-12-2013 07:22 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten,

As you said, HDMI inputs still don't work on cat 745, but you can still select the DVI, haven't got any problems at least with Christie and with Barco.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like someone said you can use "internal" dvi inputs but there is possibility to use HDMI input at IMB for external content. Actually i tried it few months ago in one of cinemas in our cinema chain i work for. But there is con regarding this approach - sound processing.

I assume that it will not be silent movie [Wink]

For this purpose i used (don't tell me it's redneck approach [Smile] ) HDMI splitter 1/2 with one out connected to HDMI @IMB and other one to the DataSat AP20.

Probably you just need to set IMB input properly. If you wish i can make some "manual/white paper" and upload it somewhere and post you a link here.

@uploading/posting links
Can someone tell me can i post stuff like this to the warehouse section?

P.S.
I forgot to tell you that i my setup is Christie Solaria CP2210/CP2220/CP2230 in conjution with Doremi ShowVault with Doremi IMB

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-14-2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aleksandar - why a splitter?

The Doremi IMB can do HDMI audio passthrough to it's AES-Outs and thus to the AP20.

Plus, the APS20 has a 4:1 HDMI switch with audio decoding and video-passthrough as well.

- Carsten

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically cable run/length problem and projection booth setup/layout. My sound rack is something about 15m from projector and i had a trouble to find two 15m HDMI cables to go from laptop to the AP and back to the Christie (i had one of 3m and one of 15m).
I am also using this laptop to run some application for projection booth HVAC control and monitoring of fire alarms/dumpers and there were no way to move it around booth in time of testing and playing around with this.
One of the solution was to kill myself before my boss did it if i trigger some alarms and shutdown other projections in cinema or do it in way i explained it.
Not to mention that it was during grand opening of new/first multiplex in of Europe's capitals [Smile]

Duc Nguyen
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2013 04:43 AM      Profile for Duc Nguyen   Email Duc Nguyen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks all so much for useful information!!!
I keep using DVI or IPM2K. But i dont like the Mono sound from laptop. hix hix..
I am a projectionist in Vietnam. In my country, there is no school teach about film-tech like this.
Thanks again

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-17-2013 07:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your laptop has a real HDMI output, it could as well have multichannel digital sound over the same link. You would only need to split it by using an HDMI audio de-embedder. Or you could use a (built-in?) S/P-DIF output. Or use an external multichannel audio interface. Yes, it might be a steep learning curve.

- Carsten

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2013 12:02 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah [Smile]
one word "Exotic"
This word can explain a lot of stuff which i try to get here in Balcan's (Europe). I went thru a lot of troubles to get simple latching relay here some time ago. Now i am trying to make some high power LED dimmer and it looks that i will spend more money for phone calls then to buy and inmport few of them from China. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: