Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Speaker Placement

Author Topic: Speaker Placement
Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to everyone!
I had this question in my head for a while, so I decided to post it in here.
I don't know if it's in the right forum, but I don't think there's a "sound forum" xD, and since most of the screens are Digital, I thought this one could be the right forum.

I've visited all complexes in the city and I've noticed something:
In some theatres (Cinépolis) the R and L speakers are in a distance were you can notice the sounds coming from the sides of the screen, but not too far to the edges.

In other complex (a local city enterprise) the R&L are so to the sides that you can sometimes mistake them for the surrounds, for example, loud music from a trailer coming way from the sides.

And in other complex you don't even notice them!

So, my question is:
¿How far to the sides of the screen is the ideal spot to put the R and L speakers?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-19-2013 06:55 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a look at the picture here.

That picture represents about the optimal placement for THX certified rooms with three front channels (LF/CF/RF). The big box in the bottom center is obviously the subwoofer.

Even with good equipment, for the end effect, not only the placement of the speakers is important, but also the characteristics of the room and the equalization of the audio system.

What you can also see on that picture is the baffle wall around the speakers. That helps (amongst other things) to smooth the transition between the separate channels, so you cannot pinpoint the exact location of the speakers that easily. Baffle walls are mandatory for THX certified theaters, but are also often applied in theaters without certification.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the picture, what is the purpose of the two "indented"-looking areas on each side of the center channel?

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2013 04:11 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
In the picture, what is the purpose of the two "indented"-looking areas on each side of the center channel?
It looks like this was originally a 5-screen channel set up but LC and RC have been removed?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-20-2013 04:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of making cutouts in the baffle wall and setting the speakers in the resulting alcoves, the speakers were set in front of the baffle wall and pieces were put around the front of them.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2013 10:57 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with Randy.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-20-2013 11:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If side adjustable maskings are used: the L/R were placed within the FLAT masking tabs.

On unmasked screens, the L/R were place more outward towards the edge of the screen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2013 07:10 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The baffle wall has little or no effect much below the crossover frequency. Best effect is 100 Hz or below. Yes, it is important but not exactly for the reason that thx says. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-21-2013 09:32 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel,

The idea of the THX wall was to pinpoint the channel separation nut blur it. Among many other benefits the wall keeps backstage echos, mostly mid and lower frequencies, from getting though between the speakers and blurring the precise location.

The padding on the front of the wall soaks up the HF bouncing off the back of the screen, for the same purpose; to sharpen the separation, not blur it.

If there are to be sounds located between channels, it's the mixers job to place them there during the mix.

This has been covered a number of times on this forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: