Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Turning on an amp rack remotely

Author Topic: Turning on an amp rack remotely
James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2013 07:35 AM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
How would you go about turning on an amp rack remotely? Just looking for some ideas. I have seen the IMAX system come on automatically but how would you apply that to a standard sound rack that had been previously for 35mm.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-29-2013 07:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How remote? You could use a bunch of relays (or, better, a power sequencer with a remote switch) if you just want to have a pushbutton for it somewhere else in the building. If you want to be able to do it over the Internet or something, you could get network-enabled PDUs (power distribution units) of the type that are used for data center operations (APC and others make them).

Or you could just leave everything powered up at all times. There have been discussions here in the past of the relative merits of power-cycling sound equipment vs. leaving everything powered up 24/7.

I know of one theatre that has its sound system on a timer (using a standard Intermatic industrial timer switch) so that, with an auto-play CD player and correctly set time, the non-sync music will start an hour before the first show of the day, even though the projectionist does not typically arrive until a half-hour before showtime.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-30-2013 07:39 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, a power sequencer is probably the easiest way to do it. It will also make sure that simultaneous power-on of all amps will not blow the fuses.

You could either hard-wire a power-sequencer to your booth, or use something more elaborate, like a network-operated switch.

One example is the Furman PS-8R/E II - it does have a flexible remote option.

Of course, on critical devices like this, you always need a fall-back option, by-pass-switch, etc. You don't want to rewire your amp-rack 5 minutes before a show.

- Carsten

James Crowley
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2013 04:44 PM      Profile for James Crowley         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for those suggestions. I'd like to be able to build it into a TMS macro so the "power up amp rack" was in an opening playlist for the day. Of course I haven't yet figured a way of powering a projector (NEC in my case) up from stand by remotely. I know that couldn't be a playlist because the server would be in a disconnect state. So I am still looking at a member of management visiting the projection room first thing. They don't have access to DCC or the projector web access from their PCs so that's not a possible option.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-30-2013 05:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want it network controled, you should probably choose one of the APC Switched PDUs Scott mentioned.

e.g. http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP7900

Of course you could wire the Furman PS' remote switch to a server/automation GPO, but the APC PDU then offers more for roughly the same price.

If it is network controlled, I'm sure you can issue a start command from the TMS software/desk directly, you don't have to wait for the server playlist to be active.

Servers can have GPIO makros issued without a playlist being loaded, but I think this is of no use for you, they have to be boot-up or cron issued, I don't see how this could help you.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-30-2013 07:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, YOU would need the 230V version, e.g. http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP7920 ;-)

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: