Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » who has used the new BARCO dp2k-10sx (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: who has used the new BARCO dp2k-10sx
Christopher Mondt
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Christopher Mondt   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Mondt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone used the small BARCO dp2k-10sx?
We are planning to install some of these machines but never heard any reviews.

How is the internal server working?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-24-2013 06:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard of ANY installation of the new S2k machines yet. Anyone?

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-24-2013 07:09 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First installation for me is scheduled for next week, a DP2K-10s with Doremi IMB and separate Doremi ShowVault server. The 10sx should be available (this model has the integrated server) in a few weeks.
I haven't seen one of the Christie Solaria integrated server/projectors yet.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2013 10:48 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive spent some time with the NEC NC900 with the Doremi IMB and separate Doremi ShowVault server. It is not a bad little machine but no lens memory. The projectors software supports LMS but the lens does not.
Will the Barco and Christie have lens memory? I would think NEC will have to address this sooner or later.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-25-2013 03:56 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly Christie have two versions, one is the "enhanced" one with lens control - Solaria One + .

What do you guy think of the non-xenon lamp used in D-Cinema projectors? NEC and SONY. I do believe that those lamps do not belong to a professional an colour critical world. I have experience with consumer projectors and the colours drift of the light is awful over the life of the machine.
The projector can easily compensate for it with an integrated colour meter, but then what happens to light output?
And speaking of SONY, they have 6 lamps inside, each pointing to a different area of the chips. How are they going to compensate for - say - one brand new lamp at 7500K and 500 lm and the one sitting next to it with 1000hrs on it outputting 4500K and 250 lm? I think it's simply wrong.

Mike Connell
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2013 05:30 AM      Profile for Mike Connell   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Connell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fascinated by this thread as the 10sx is what I am currently looking at installing in my startup single screen cinema. From what I've read, it ticks all the boxes and more for me, so updates from those who have experience would be greatly appreciated!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-25-2013 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These projectors are strippers by design. The lenses are not motorized on the notion that most cinemas have fixed width screens so one merely crops scope (or scales it using the "resize" feature of the ICP and possibly shifts the image down on the imager.

Christie's Solaria 1+ does have motorized lenses but at a notable increase in cost (thousands). The thought is, why charge that extra money for those theatres that don't need/want motorized lenses?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-25-2013 06:55 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony received DCI compliance in december, no need to question it's out of the box colour rendering. 6*450W UHP is a lot of light to start with a DCI whitepoint compensation.

The Sonys have a light box that mixes the light from all 6 lamps, no segmentation (that would be an awful idea indeed).

Of course it still remains to be seen how they deal with the lamp fading. I heard from a technician that the Sony has software provisions for lamp ageing, but how it deals with a potential mix of new and old lamps, I have no idea. I guess lamp mixing is not what they actually have in mind.

BTW - from the NC900C datasheet:

'Zoom / Focus: Motorized; Motorized Shift: Horizontal/Vertical Motorized Other: Dowser (light shutter); Range of shift is dependent on lens Primary Lenses: NP-9LS14Z: 1.36-1.63:1; NP-9LS16Z: 1.63-2.03:1; NP-9LS20Z: 2.03-2.72:1; NP-9LS27Z: 2.72-4.07:1; NP-9LS40Z: 4.07-6.34:1'

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-25-2013 10:18 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

The 6 lamps are aimed at different parts of the light path, I find difficult for any optical element to perfectly mix the light in such a short distance. That said I don't mean that the if a lamp fails you have a dark spot on the screen, but I would imagine that the uniformity of the light wouldn't be on top.

You WILL have mixed lamp in a projector: they won't fail all together and some WILL fail sooner.
Another point: unless you decided to replace your lamps all together, your projector won't have the maximum light output anymore.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2013 02:37 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just installing the first six Christie Solaria One units in my move-over theatre south of Lancaster - (Kendig Square Movies 6). I like it, and I LOVE that we used the old projector bases. I'll try to upload a pic. Integrated IMB/server and NAS (They provided a Netgear 4T ReadyNAS 2100 I think it was.) Our picture and sound are much improved, especially over the poor quality prints we've been getting lately. 5.1 sound though Dolby CP750.

Haven't worked out automation yet. Anyone working with the jnior? Do I need to be a programmer to make it work, or is it pretty easy?

-

Sorry about the poor quality pic. Camera phone, and too much coffee...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-25-2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you definitely need to get used to some quirks of it, then it's great!

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little more research into the NEC they are planning to add Lens Memory in Feb.

Ronda looks like a perfect fit between the Christie and the ole film base [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-25-2013 08:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I know of a theatre that has ordered the Barco (with the built-in server). Their screen is fixed-width for 1.66:1 through scope, and which gets taller for 1.37:1. If they don't get the motorized lens unit, what happens for the narrower formats?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-25-2013 08:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The documentation I have on the Barco 10s has only motorized lenses listed. barco has non-motorized lenses available for the other D-Cinema projectors but I've never actually seen one in use. Lens shift is always motorized on Barco D-Cinema projectors, it's in the lens mount. Christie has historically made motorized lenses (including lens shift) an option (with some exceptions). I don't know about NEC.

Yinghong Wu
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2013 11:17 PM      Profile for Yinghong Wu   Email Yinghong Wu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DP2K-10Sx,a complete media server is built into the projector.The term"media server"covers the media block,the SMS and the storage device.In other word,this system is a self-contained all-inclusive package,just as are Sony's 4k system.---FIAF DIGITAL PROJECTION GUIDE---BY TORKELL SAETERVADET [Smile] [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: