Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » keystone correction for D-cinema projector

Author Topic: keystone correction for D-cinema projector
Joju Zacharias
Film Handler

From: Changanacherry-city,Kottayam-district, Kerala-state, India

- posted 01-22-2013 07:04 AM      Profile for Joju Zacharias   Email Joju Zacharias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I don't work in a theater but I visit projection booth of all the cinema theater's I go to, also this is my first time in film-tech forum, so if I break any rules with my words please go easy on me.

Almost all the theater I seen the projector is located higher than the center of the screen, so the image is trapezoidal, it doesn't fill the screen neatly. I know that it's not recommended to correct it using picture warping softwares. Is it possible to use a "flexible mirror" to correct the image(like they use in christie duo). spending all the money on expensive projectors for a trapezoidal image doesn't seem good enough.

|  IP: Logged

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 07:57 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was this on a common height or common width screens?

We have a common height screen, meaning adjustable side masking. We completely fill the height of the screen in both flat and scope, and only had to digitally mask (in the projector) just a handful of pixels on just two corners. The only time you see a trapezoid is on letterboxed flat material (eg trailers for a scope film in the flat format) and even then its exceptionally slight. Using the digital side masking feature of the projector, we have perfectly perpendicular edges of the picture on the left and right, again, only masking just a minuscule number of pixels

We were very careful during installation to make sure that the vertial and horizontal line patterns were as straight as possible.

Our projector is above and a bit to the right of the centre line, something we cant change due to the design of the projection room and the fact we needed to keep our 35mm for archival prints and arthouse one-offs.

We did find during install that correctly scheimpflug'ing the lens resolved most of the wonky picture issues, and we have excellent focus in all four corners , and centre of the picture in flat and scope.

Joju Zacharias
Film Handler

From: Changanacherry-city,Kottayam-district, Kerala-state, India

- posted 01-22-2013 08:11 AM      Profile for Joju Zacharias   Email Joju Zacharias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was a constant height screen, but they show all the flat movies in scope(cropped). the projector is located almost above the level of the screen, the picture is so trapezoidal that they cannot zoom the picture too much to fill. so they fill the bottom corners of the screen and you can see blank screen on top corners. it is not a good idea to zoom out the picture any more because they will loose some amount of picture from sides and it will ruin 3d movies, "floating windows" on the side of the image is very important for 3d effect.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 08:27 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that sounds pretty crppy

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 03:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All DCI projectors (and a lot of home video projectors as well) have 'lens shift' - that allows to shift the image vertically and horizontally without any electronic correction ('keystone correction'). Goes by shifting the lens in parallel with the screen/imager plane.

That feature will usually cope with most projection settings. Some projectors/lenses allow for more than 100% up/down movement. If you overdo it, vignetting or convergence issues can occur, but most installations do not need extreme values of lens shift. Some places, though, show notoriously bad layout.

Electronic keystone correction is not available on any DCI compliant projector. Only keystone masking is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_control_lens

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-23-2013 01:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They run Flat films in Scope and you bother about the shape of the borders? If the projector is just over the screen, you should not have such a distortion. Use more lens shift!
You may have the wrong lens as well. You should be able to zoom until your corners - all of them - reach the corners of the screen.

Then, crop the picture to have the edges parallel to the sides of the screen. I know it's not nice to crop, but much better to see what you are describing.

Glad that DCI do not allow for keystoning correction!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: