Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » lamping off

Author Topic: lamping off
Chris Allen
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 05:42 AM      Profile for Chris Allen   Email Chris Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there first post for me here so be gentle.
We have recently had installed (October 2012) a Barco digital projector(DP2K-15C). Twice in the last month the lamp has switched itself off during the running of a film, once during the ads and the second time yesterday in the middle of the film.
Also while I am here the taillight at the back of the projector has gone from green to blue. I can't seem to find anything in the manual for this to change colour. The only maintenance I am doing is cleaning the filters and checking the coolant levels, is there anything else I should be doing.

Thanks for your patience

|  IP: Logged

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 05:57 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris,

you need to get the Barco 'communicator' software. That software allows you to get the error messages. The people who installed it should be able to provide that.
That way you get the correct warning. The blue taillight could mean you need to confirm the maintenance or you need to prépare to change the xenon bulb.

Chris Allen
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 06:00 AM      Profile for Chris Allen   Email Chris Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Kris
Trying to get hold of the installers but thought there may have been a quick fix.

Thanks

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how is the projector and projection room cooled?

Reading through the older threads on this forum this sort of problem usually comes down to either overheating or lamp issues, although the barco software will clarify it for you.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2013 01:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem is twofold.

#1 The Barco projector came with an Osram lamp.

#2 Don't run the current too low. If you run the current low, the Osrams get really angry and the lamp turns off.

Either way, get another bulb and get one FAST. This time make sure it's an Ushio brand bulb so you don't have to fight the Osram warranty people for 2 months.

Tip - you can usually buy yourself another couple of days by turning the bulb current all the way up.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 03:03 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue is just a reminder that your projector needs some maintenance, probably type A or B (filters and general cleaning). Type C can only be done by a qualified technician.
As said, have the communicator installed on a computer, so you can reset the maintenance and check the status of the projector.

You did not mention how many hours your bulb has, but - again - you will need the communicator to know that! Do you know roughly how many hours it could have and what kind of bulb is it?
If no clear error messages are displayed, your technician can check the logs and investigate on the cause of the problem. As Brad pointed out, you should make sure your lamp is not running too low and/or jumping max/min all the time (2D/3D) even though the light levels in 2D were too high because of the 3D.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Barco projector came with an Osram lamp. Since its first hour, it has been constantly operating at the minimum setting (2kW XBO digital lamp running at 1320W)

Never in the 2000 hours of its life, has it failed to start or stopped working mid show. Picture is always stable, no flickering, CLO raised it to 1400W by 2000 hours mark.

Unless they change levels from 2D/3D alot, or they don't have CLO mode set for all their presets, then its most probably a heating issue, or a missed automation cue from the server.

But as said before, get the communicator software (if you dont have the touch panel) and log into the projector, you'll find out immediately. Why was that not installed on a local computer by the installer is beyond me.

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note that if it is one of the 3K bulbs from Osram, there are some problems according to Osram with them.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco "Communicator" touchpanel is fairly expensive so sometimes it isn't purchased: you don't "need" it if you only ever use the first 6 presets. And the PC version will do the same thing on a cheapo PC that costs less than the Barco touchpscreen unit.
Sometime the lamps go off. It's a known problem and Barco is working on it, some important customers are unhappy over this. It does not seem to be lamp brand specific. The info window (popped up on the touchscreen or PC if connected) is just "lamp off due to error" but without any error shown.
I know Brad loved Ushio lamps and I have no problem with them, but I don't have unusual amounts of problems with Osram 2kW lamps (regardless of power level) and haven't had long delays from Osram on warranty claims where the documentation is complete.
The blue light means scheduled maintenance is due. You need to log in as service technician using a touchscreen or a connected PC running Communicator software and in "maintenance" "smart maintenance" tell the system you've completed the overdue maintenance (and do it, but the 30 and 90 day tasks on a 12C are pretty much just air filter cleaning). The blue light will come on when the service is due again, counting days of use rather than calendar days.
The installer should have explained all this. If you're on your own, without service support, go to my.barco.com and apply for an account. This will let you get the service manual (this shows the tasks for the various scheduled maintenance types), software updates, and you can be notified by email when there are any updates or tech bulletins (they call these "info-T"s) regarding your projector.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-22-2013 04:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm Brad's issues with Osram. I currently have one plex that has their original Osrams in them...three out of 6 theatres have lamp issues after just 1000 hours. They are junk. I don't have these problems with the Ushios that are in the vast majority of the theatres we service.

On the Communicator...note, with the current release (4.6.6), you only need default level for clearing the Maintenance A or B. A quirk of the software is you can change a lamp with the default level but you don't get the screen that aids in adjusting the lamp without being a technician!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-23-2013 02:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The bigger the lamp, the worse it is when running low current. I mostly deal with 4k and 6.5k Osrams and we are all shocked when we see that rare one hit warranty hours. For those that fail prematurely, we have to file to get a replacement, and then of course the same thing happens with the replacement...but at that point we got the proper hours out of it (it just took 2 bulbs to do it).

Chris Allen
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2013 04:39 AM      Profile for Chris Allen   Email Chris Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies guys.
We are a Theatre and arts centre with a small cinema, we dont have a dedicated projectionist but all our tech staff have 35mm experience. Last October the digital projector was installed. The training we received was at best minimal and as we had films booked in learning on the job was a bit squeaky bum time.
The lamp hours I cant be sure but would estimate around the 1000 hours mark what type of lamp not sure.
No idea how to change the current for the lamp, we only run 2D films.
It seems a communicator is the way forward. We are in thr process of getting a pc for this now.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-23-2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally, get a small laptop. You can operate the server, the projector and with wifi you could tweak your projector in the auditorium.

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is limited to Series 1 Barcos, but it tells me that this is a Barco thing not an Osram thing - we had such persistent problems at one cinema that we tried a more expensive Ushio lamp with exactly the same results.

Chris - is this a Future Projections installation, by any chance?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: