Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Save America's Cinemas awards first digital system

Author Topic: Save America's Cinemas awards first digital system
Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood mobsters helping mom-and-pop theaters

January 11, 2013 02:13 PM EST |

Compare other versions »
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Some of Hollywood's big-name mobsters are helping save small-town theaters.

Stars from "The Sopranos" and "Goodfellas" joined with Florida-based non-profit Save America's Cinemas to help smaller theaters transition to digital. The conversion has forced many small theaters to go silent.

The stars gathered Friday in Miami Beach to donate a screen, projector and processor to Cinema Saver of Endicott, NY. Rachel Daddezio with the theater says the new equipment "will save our theater and it will save our community."

Walter T. Shaw, a filmmaker and former jewel thief for the mafia, started the group. He says as many as 60 theaters have reached out for help.

Tony (Paulie Walnuts) Sirico and Vincent (Big Pussy) Pastore of "The Sopranos" and Mike Starr and Debi Mazar from "Goodfellas" attended the event.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be cynical...but how much do you wanna bet the owner of this first cinema has a prior relationship with the "celebrities" involved in this venture? I wonder if there is some cost associated with getting on the SAC's theater list?

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2013 08:59 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the theater's Facebook page, this only covered one auditorium of the five in that location.

Given that the theater was trying to raise 200,000 in donations (and only has received $5,576), I think they are far from being "saved" as SAC's publicity would like others to believe.

It is good to see that grants are being made and theaters are being helped. I'd be curious to take a look at the organization's 501(c)3 filings to see what they have to say about income and especially administrative expenses. I'm cynical as well, but maybe this will be what the small cinemas need to keep going as viable, thriving businesses.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2013 04:07 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> I'd be curious to take a look at the organization's 501(c)3 filings

The IRS Website Listing of 501(c)3 charities in Florida (where SAC Website indicates they are based), does not list them.

Of course, it is always possible that the IRS web site needs to updated, but it would make me wary.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2013 12:28 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.kwbe.com/news/2013/01/15/kutt-local-news/fairbury-s-movie-theatre-has-received-a-pledge-from-save-america-s-cinema./

Fairbury's movie theatre has received a pledge from Save America’s Cinema.
Published Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:00 pm
by Trevor Steinmeyer
BonhamTheatreProject.org

The Bonham Theatre Project has received a pledge from Save America’s Cinemas for digital equipment, valued at approximately $150,000. Save America’s Cinemas (SAC) is a non-profit organization founded by a collection of actors, movie directors, producers and screenwriters whose mission is to save the 3,000+ small market movie houses forced to close because of the expenditures entailed in converting to a digital format.

Representatives from six small cinemas from across the United States (Wyoming, New York, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Illinois, and Nebraska) gathered Friday, Jan. 11, 2013 in Miami Beach for a media blitz and lottery drawing sponsored by Save America’s Cinemas. The winner, Cinema Saver of Endicott, N.Y., was chosen to be the first theatre to receive screens, projectors, and processors from the national nonprofit. Deborah Ebke, BTP treasurer, represented the Bonham Theatre Project and coverage of the event can be viewed on their website at www.SaveAmericasCinemas.org.

The remaining five theatres represented at the event came away winners as well. It was announced that all who attended the event will be receiving the equipment needed for digital conversion in the coming months, including The Bonham Theatre Project. Two digital projectors, processors and screens have been pledged by SAC for the inclusion into a renovated Bonham Theatre.

In order for the Bonham Theatre Project to utilize the gift, major improvements to the Bonham Theatre building must be completed. Before the new digital projection equipment is installed and the theatre can be reoccupied, improvements including roof repair, marquee replacement, updated fire exits and a sprinkler system (needed to utilize both theatres) must be completed. Updated restrooms, lobby area and concessions are also included in the plans. Architectural estimates and a preliminary cost analysis has been drafted by Fakler Architects of Beatrice. The BTP board hopes to work with local contractors to help minimize the costs of the improvements. “Several contractors have already volunteered to do in-kind work and a meeting will be scheduled soon for contractors to get involved,” according to BTP board member, Brooke Schwab.

Following the purchase of the building, citizens have responded strongly and donations both large and small continue to come in. “The BTP board is researching grant opportunities from at least 15 different resources, some of which will require matching funds,” according to Janette Warnke, BTP vice president.

Time and money must combine to push this project ahead now, Diane Schutt, BTP president said. “That theatre means a great deal to many people. It has a strong multi-generational appeal. Personally, I can’t wait to see the theater all lit up again. I know we can make it happen,” Schutt said.

Bonham Theatre Project Meetings Scheduled

The Bonham Theater Project will hold two general meetings for its members on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 2 p.m. and Wednesday, Jan 30th at 7 p.m., both at the Bonham Theatre in downtown Fairbury, according to BTP president, Diane Schutt. Both meetings are open to members of the Bonham Theatre Project and also to those still wishing to become a member.

A short overview of the project to date will be presented and then citizens will be asked to sign up for committees and pledge their time, talents and efforts to keep the BTP renovation moving forward. Committees will consist of membership, fundraising, events, demolition/renovation, grants and others.

Additional information is available at BonhamTheatreProject.org and on facebook – Bonham Theatre Project.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As my sister was the winner of the first digital system, I can say first hand she had no personal relationship with the organization or it's members. She got a heads up from NATO, we both applied, and one of our staff members used her personal airline miles to get representatives down to the event. Amber was fortunate to be one of the first theatres awarded a digital system, and it's huge for her to get this help.

Mr. Shaw's stated and seemingly sincere intention is to help as many theatres as he can. As of the event, 60 theatres had applied. I don't know how many screens that represents. This kick-off event was set up to attract more donations, more industry names, and to raise awareness. I would say, it's been successful in that.

FWIW!

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that saving cinemas is a wonderful goal. Does it qualify as a charitable activity for a 501(c)(3) by the IRS. 501(c)(3), as I recall is for educational organizations. Is this educational? 501(c)(3) organizations are, I believe, only allowed to donate to other 501(c)(3) charitable organizations. Are the theaters such? A 501(c)(3) can, of course, buy goods and services to further its charitable goals from commercial enterprises, but that does not seem to be what's going on here.

So, while I love the goal, is it charitable?

Harold

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-16-2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Frank Sinatra meeting room at the Castle Hotel.........how appropriate.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-19-2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 501 c (3) can be religious, charitable, literary or educational.

If SOC is giving stuff to other 501 c (3)'s than it qualifies and charitable and everything donated to them is deductible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: