Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What to do with old equipment?

Author Topic: What to do with old equipment?
Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I'm looking through the lists of things to deal with for digital conversion, one I haven't seen on the boards is what folks are doing with the old equipment, other than Regal trashing it.

I've found a market for the old sound equipment, and a possible market for the old rectifiers. Anyone have ideas on the projectors, soundheads, lamphouses, and platters?

|  IP: Logged

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on who actually owns the equipment, one of the things you can do is try to sell the projectors, platters etc. for scrap metal. You can try posting the equipment on here in the classifieds, if you choose to go that route, make sure to read the rules carefully. One other possibility is to donate them to an art house or a college or a museum depending on what condition they are in.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try the 35mm Film Collectors Forum (Jeff Joseph's site). Lots of people lurk there looking for equipment. 16mmfilmtalk also has a 35mm section.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We called a scrap yard, they sent someone out to pick it up. Paid us some money, not much.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-10-2013 12:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always sell the lenses and other small items on Ebay. These and the sound equipment will probably get you more money than the rest of the equipment combined.

I would suggest offering the projectos, bases, platters, automations, etc. to other theatres (possibly through the FS forum here).

At the very least, save the lenses, intermittents, lamphouse reflectors (if good), platter motors, and any NOS parts that are lying around. Someone has a use for these items.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 01:13 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landfill

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-10-2013 02:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got room for it, keep it and show film with it from time to time?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-10-2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a non-profit art theatre [cough-cough] nearby, see if they can use the equipment for spares. You can get a tax-deduction out of it.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 04:28 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those in the Central New York region should contact me about the possibility of donation for tax write-off.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-10-2013 04:53 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave all of my film equipment away to a community-owned theatre on the condition that they would come and pick it up on the day that I said it was ready to go. Which they did -- a guy came with a truck and enclosed trailer and helped haul everything out on the day after I played my last movie on film.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott - try to keep or sell or at least keep from scrap as much as you can, with particular reference to sound equipment and anything that could be used as a spare part. As long as there are repertory prints, or even private collectors, there are going to be people trying to show them and they'll be needing to keep their machines in good condition.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a handful of places in the NJ area that could give you a tax deduction too.

Keep or sell lenses, intermittents. There will still be places that will show film. I know MoMA will not be dropping their film shows anytime soon.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2013 07:02 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We badly needed to change our 2 changeover westars (totally knackered) and got a complete long play vic5, lenses, spares, spools and rectifier from another cinema going all-digital.

The vic5 had 17!! hours on it from manufacture, and we got everything for an amazing price. It actually cost us more for the install and electrical rewire than the projector.

As a small independent, was a godsend.........Id ask around the local independents and arthouses before calling the scrap people. This deal saved us an incredible amount of cash compared to other options, as although we ourselves are now 90% digital screenings, we will continue to play older films, specials and private hires whenever we can

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: