Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » RealD,Dolby3D,Xpand vs dual-projector setup (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: RealD,Dolby3D,Xpand vs dual-projector setup
Nastia Motovilova
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 04:15 AM      Profile for Nastia Motovilova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to everyone,

As I am new to 3D tech and I'm trying to clear a few thoughts and was wondering if you could offer some insight.

My question is, if there was a choice, would you go with a "traditional" 3D dual projector setup whereby one projector is for the left eye and the other for the right with the static filters in front of the projectors (of course properly aligned) or would you go with one out of the three, Xpand,Dolby, RealD?

This is for a DCI projection system, for an only 3D cinema, using a silver screen (though the silver screen can be replaced if need be). With the dual projector linear polarized set up, there would be some loss of brightness when the image passes through the filter in front of the projector and again when it passes through the glasses. However, with a dual projector set up, there is a benefit of the increased brightness.
There are other benefits as well, such as not needing to go with a trademarked system which bears license costs of buying the 3D technology, relying on a third party for repairs, potential license costs etc

I would really appreciate your opinion on the above.

Regards

|  IP: Logged

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 05:17 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was some discussion about the options earlier in this thread.

First up, dual-projector 3D is a good idea, particularly now as the industry is trying to raise the standards for 3D light levels.

Second, any silver-screen based 3D system will compromise your image quality – even more for the 2D content. That leaves you with XpanD and Dolby.

I have no personal experience with dual-projector XpanD, but it’s only common sense that you have to be extremely careful with the alignment of the two projectors as any inaccuracy comes off the resolution.

On the other hand, dual-projector Dolby 3D is a ”traditional dual setup” in the sense you described: each projector is only projecting one eye through a static filter. You should still try to align the two pictures as precisely as possible, but it’s still less critical than XpanD since the eyes are able to correct for slight inaccuracies between them. Dual-projector Dolby 3D is also a bit more light-efficient compared to single-projector Dolby, because there’s no dark time involved. And of course, Dolby’s passive glasses are much less hassle compared to XpanD.

Christie is selling a dual-projector integration kit called Christie Duo, which might be of interest for you. All the four major 3D systems are supported. Of course, a similar system can be built with Barcos – it’s just that Christie has made an ”off-the-shelf” product out of it, complete with a stacking system and a camera and software for automatic alignment. (I wouldn’t bother with NEC projectors for such a setup, due to light efficiency and lamp life issues.)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 05:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, Xpand, Dolby3D and RealD all support dual projector setups for increased brightness in large venues.

Xpand has both an active and a new passive polarized system and there are others to consider, like Masterimage.

Of all the 3D technologies mentioned above, only RealD has a recurring licensing fee, the others are one-off.

None of the newer systems use linear polarization (only IMAX 3D still uses linear polarization, but that's not an upgrade, but a complete system). That way, you can tilt your head slightly without blurring the image too much.

Xpand has an active system, using shutter glasses and Dolby3D uses a system with alternating primary colors. Both Dolby3D and Xpand work with white and silver screens.

Xpand (the active system) and Dolby 3D use recyclable glasses. The others use glasses that are, outside of the USA, usually bought by the customer for a small fee. Those glasses can then be used at a next screening, if they don't forget to bring them along.

The Xpand (active) and Dolby3D systems are the best systems regarding ghosting. All other passive systems suffer some ghosting. Ghosting is especially annoying if you're using subtitles frequently.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 05:33 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, totally forgot about XpanD’s passive systems. There are in fact two: one is polarization-based so it requires the dreaded silver screen, but the other is a split-spectrum solution similar to Dolby. Has anyone got any experience from the latter? They seem to call it ”XpanD Color Spacer”.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 05:36 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh yes, totally forgot about XpanD’s passive systems. There are in fact two: one is polarization-based so it requires the dreaded silver screen, but the other is a split-spectrum solution similar to Dolby. Has anyone got any experience from the latter? They seem to call it ”XpanD Color Spacer”.
Yes, I've seen one quite recently and I wasn't impressed. They moved from Xpand active to Xpand passive. Probably because people were complaining about the image brightness and the heavy glasses.

I wasn't impressed. Maybe something was not yet properly setup, but there was a MASSIVE amount of ghosting. The subtitles were almost unreadable.

Nastia Motovilova
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 05:49 AM      Profile for Nastia Motovilova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great replies!

If someone chooses to install a dual projector set up, why not just install the static polarized filters in front of the projectors and use the simple polarized glasses to get the 3D image? Would there still be a need in this case to go with either Dolby,RealD or Xpand?

Thanks!

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 07:02 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That’s exactly what dual-projector RealD or Masterimage is. You’re only buying the (static) filters and glasses from them in that case.

The same with Dolby 3D, except that it’s based on split-spectrum technology so it doesn’t require a silver screen.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
They moved from Xpand active to Xpand passive. Probably because people were complaining about the image brightness and the heavy glasses.
I understand the weight complaints – particularly if they were using the dishwasher-washable X101 glasses – but surely the active system should be a bit brighter? [Confused] (At least if that was a single-projector setup.)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 07:30 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I understand the weight complaints, but surely the active system should be brighter? [Confused]
I don't have the actual numbers at hand, but an active system isn't necessarily brighter, you still loose a lot of light with the glasses. Look trough a shutter glass that's open and you'll see for yourself, the loss is often larger than that of a normal polarizer glass.

Additionally, you go from white to silver screen, which is much more reflective. In this particular case, the image was brighter with the passive system than with the active system, but part of it might also be due to the leakage between left and right resulting in said ghosting.

quote: Antti Nayha
The same with Dolby 3D, except that it’s based on split-spectrum technology so it doesn’t require a silver screen.
Please note that the Dolby 3D filters are installed inside the projector, in the light path in front of the imager. That's true for both the "split" and "uniform" filter.

It's also possible to run Dolby3D in a dual projector setup with spinning filter, a lot like Xpand (active) in dual-projector setup would function. In that case, you indeed need to align your projectors perfectly.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look trough a shutter glass that's open and you'll see for yourself, the loss is often larger than that of a normal polarizer glass.
These things can be hard to judge with a naked eye. It’s a common misconception, resulting from an optical illusion of sorts:

Remember that in an active system, there are no filters in the projector. This is why the image is very bright on screen, and most of the light loss takes place in the glasses. The difference between glasses on vs. glasses off appears huge, and you will go around telling your friends that the active system is darker because ”you can see it with your own eyes”.

In contrast, most of the light loss in passive systems happens already in the projector, and the glasses themselves don’t cut that much light. (I’ve even heard educated people claim that putting on the Dolby glasses actually makes the image brighter! [Cool] ) But if you look at the net efficiency of the complete system, an active system usually wins: all other things being equal, you get more foot-lamberts in the eye per a watt of xenon light. Which is what matters, of course.

According to the usually quoted figures, the XpanD active system should be around 50% brighter compared to Dolby. That is probably overstating it a bit, but RealD XL is still the only passive system that actually gives you more light than active systems. And RealD XL has its own issues.

That said, and back on topic: even though Dolby 3D won’t win any light efficiency awards, it remains a good choice for both single and dual projector installations.
It's also possible to run Dolby3D in a dual projector setup with spinning filter, a lot like Xpand (active) in dual-projector setup would function. In that case, you indeed need to align your projectors perfectly.
Yeah, I’ve heard about this… but it puzzles me as to why would you ever do it? In addition to the alignment issues, you will need to set up a dark time which naturally eats up light. Plus you end up with expensive moving parts in the projector. The only advantage I can see is that you can still run 3D if one projector breaks down – but it’s not going to be very bright 3D.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 09:56 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the usually quoted figures, the XpanD active system should be around 50% brighter compared to Dolby. That is probably overstating it a bit, but RealD XL is still the only passive system that actually gives you more light than active systems. And RealD XL has its own issues.
I agree that those things are hard to judge with eyesight only, although it's the end result that counts.

They came from Xpand 3D active and went for Xpand 3D passive. Maybe the polarizer Xpand uses is more efficient than the Z-Screen RealD uses. It still looks like a "Z-screen" type polarizer, not like the RealD XL polarizer. I don't know why you would otherwise switch from a perfectly OK active system to a passive system. They only switched it for their larger auditoriums, the smaller ones are still on Xpand Active.

Yeah, I’ve heard about this… but it puzzles me as to why would you ever do it? In addition to the alignment issues, you will need to set up a dark time which naturally eats up light. Plus you end up with expensive moving parts in the projector. The only advantage I can see is that you can still run 3D if one projector breaks down – but it’s not going to be very bright 3D.
I also don't know why you would try to do this. It would only make sense in an odd projector setup, like with three projectors.

Afaik, the "color wheel" is still rotating inside the projector, even in a dual projector setup with a split left-right, but that's primarily due to cooling.

Nastia Motovilova
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 10:20 AM      Profile for Nastia Motovilova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is clearer now.

Is the RealD technology, the Dolby3D or the Xpand worth the cost compared to installing a linear polarizing system similar to IMAX?

-

My train of thought is that with the "traditional" linear polarizing set up:

- on the one hand it is required to install a second projector
- on the other hand you save on the cost of needing to install a particular 3D techology such as Dolby/RealD/Xpand which allow you to install two quality projectors such as Christie [Razz]
- you get the benefit of increased brightness

May thanks!

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 10:44 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why you would otherwise switch from a perfectly OK active system to a passive system.
I know of some theatres that have done just that, even though the passive system of their choice gave them less light. A major factor can be the fact that active glasses require active maintenance, with all the associated costs.

XpanD’s machine-washable X101 glasses are also heavy enough to irritate a lot of customers. The lighter models are more convenient, but then you must either have the staff clean them up manually (even more hassle) or hand them out unwashed along with disposable cleaning wipes, so the customers can do the dirty work themselves (also irritates them)…

There’s a lot to like in active 3D systems, but I wouldn’t recommend them for every theatre.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 10:48 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you want to be able to run encrypted DCPs and want to be fully DCI compliant or not?

No matter if you choose RealD, Dolby 3D, Xpand or almost any other competing 3D solution, it will practically always be cheaper in a single projector setup than with a second projector and a "roll your own 3D" setup. A DCI compliant projector starts anywhere around EUR 35K and goes all the way up to infinity. Almost any single projector 3D setup can be had for less than that.

If you're going to do 3D your own way, you need to be aware of the possible complications:

1) Where do you get your glasses?
2) Support from your playback solution, like your Playback server and IMB/Server combination.
3) Positioning your polarizers correctly.
4) Getting your polarizers out of the way for a normal 2D presentation.

So, unless you either have a really big screen and need two projectors and you do not have the few extra bucks for an "industry standard" 3D system, I would just go for a standard, off-the-shelf system.

Nastia Motovilova
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 11:05 AM      Profile for Nastia Motovilova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the system needs to be DCI compliant. Is it a requirement that a DCI compliant system implements one of the available technologies as these technologies have been officially approved?

Or can one create his own 3D DCI compliant system by using linear filters, as long as the projectors and the server are both DCI approved?

Many thanks for the replies!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 11:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Nastia Motovilova
Yes, the system needs to be DCI compliant. Is it a requirement that a DCI compliant system implements one of the available technologies as these technologies have been officially approved?

Or can one create his own 3D DCI compliant system by using linear filters, as long as the projectors and the server are both DCI approved?

In theory you could. Only don't underestimate the potential issues with getting the polarizers right and controlling the polarizers, if you don't want to move them manually each time you're switching from 2D to 3D.

If you choose a 3D system that's fully supported with your Playback server, then you also can control this system via your system. Most systems out there have dual-projector support.

A major problem could be the ghost busting functionality, because your server might not be capable of enabling that on an unknown system.

I know of some theatres that have done just that, even though the passive system of their choice gave them less light. A major factor can be the fact that active glasses require active maintenance, with all the associated costs.
I will certainly ask them. Because now both their 2D and 3D are screwed. The 2D now suffers from hotspotting (just like the 3D of course) and unnatural looking colors and the 3D is just worthless with that amount of ghosting. Maybe that can be fixed with a better adjustment of the polarizer or maybe the ghost busting feature was not working, but still, it's a step backward if you ask me.

quote:
XpanD’s machine-washable X101 glasses are also heavy enough to irritate a lot of customers. The lighter models are more convenient, but then you must either have the staff clean them up manually (even more hassle) or hand them out unwashed along with disposable cleaning wipes, so the customers can do the dirty work themselves (also irritates them)…
You're right, those things start to suck after an hour or so of wearing them. I would really want them to innovate on that, getting lighter active glasses that are dish-washer proof...

There’s a lot to like in active 3D systems, but I wouldn’t recommend them for every theatre.
That's why I like Dolby 3D the most, if it's done right. You need a lot of light, but your glasses are acceptable in terms of weight and you have almost no ghosting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: