Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Wavelength Multiplexing adjustments for Dolby 3D

Author Topic: Wavelength Multiplexing adjustments for Dolby 3D
Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2012 01:38 AM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I have a question.

I have been creating DCPs for a while now. I have successfully done so in the formats of 2k- 2d/3d Scope/Flat (2d ad in front of a 3d feature) and have also managed to compile my own surround sound setups to get stereo and 5.1 surround sound. NOW the only thing I'm lacking is to create an actual 3D (Dolby, to be precise) ad/trailer that will work with Dolby's 3D glasses. I understand Dolby has a very unique way of achieving the 3d effect using wavelength multiplexing and polarized lenses.

Has anyone out there in the forum accomplished this? If so, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I am currently using Adobe (CS6) Photoshop, After Effects, Audition, Speedgrade, and OpenDCP to create my DCPs.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-23-2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D DCPs are all the same, the actual 3D process is irrelevant. Once you get the data format right a 3D clip you create will show in 3D on any 3D D-cinema system.
Dolby 3D uses complementary optical filters that work without polarization. A spinning wheel in the projector light path with two filter segments synchronizes with the projector image sequence so the left eye image is visible only through the left eye of the 3D glasses, and then through the other wheel segment for the right eye image. Other 3D systems do it other ways but the 3D content DCP is the same for all.

Edoardo Ercoli
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2012 12:36 PM      Profile for Edoardo Ercoli   Email Edoardo Ercoli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
systems do it other ways but the 3D content DCP is the same for all
Yes, the 3D DCP is not meant for a specific 3D playback format, the same 3D can be played with all of the 3D formats available for D-Cinema

Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Thanks guys. This really helps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: