Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Oppo Responds To On-Screen Display Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Oppo Responds To On-Screen Display Question
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we discussed this in another thread somewhere but a search didn't find it. We were asking what the wish list was for BluRay players that are used in a professional theatre setting when no DLP is available for a classic title.

I think everyone to a person wanted to be able to totally disable any and all on-screen displays, along with the player never going out of pause. Seems the oppo players were highly regarded except for the OSD which you cannot disable on them.

I saw they came out with a new top of the line model, so I wondered if they finally included a way to disable the on-screen gack. I wrote to the company and asked that question and their answer was the same they gave over a year ago:

Frank,

Unfortunately at this time none of our players support the ability to set a truly silent OSD. This ability has been requested multiple times through the years but not something that we have invested nay time into developing. We have not ruled out the possibility as we can always create a firmware which can only be used by custom installers or exhibitors, but we do not have any immediate plans to support this.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

Perhaps a vigorous write-in campaign will convince them of their foolishness. Last year they said the reason they insist on leaving the OSD is because they are afraid stupid consumers will think there is something wrong with the player if they press a button and don't see indication feedback. There certainly is a simple solution to the "home" market quandry -- add the feature, add 300 bucks to the price and call it the "Pro" model and sell it to us. Or, add the OSD Disable feature, but then once the power is turned off and back on, it automatically reverts to the OSD ON default. This is not brain surgury.

I told them that their player seem highly regarded by many professionals at the Film-Tech blog (this is a blog, isn't it?)and if they were to add this feature, they would probably get LOTS of theatres scrabbling to buy them and their marketing team would all get bonuses as the Pro versions fly off the shelves.

Evidently he was not convinced.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 02:32 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI:
This is a message board. It is not a blog; if this were a blog, Brad would be the only person able to make new topics and people like you and me would only be able to add comments to these existing topics/articles.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I sent them the same question a few days ago as we already own 2 BDP-103's for our various theater properties. In my particular situation, I want it to have the ability to go through a playlist on a memory stick without ever showing the "Oppo Blu-ray" background or the "loading" icon in the corner. I got the same exact email response you did. I replied that as we have more properties opening, I'd be more likely to stick with Oppo down the road if they add this feature via a firmware update.

Everyone, feel free to respond to this thread if this is something you'd also like to see. Someone could send them a link and they could see the industry demand for themselves.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 03:19 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know, Chris. I disliked the word blog anyway...sounds like something you find living out in the swamp. Or a blockage disease of some kind having to do specifically with the bowels.

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2012 03:40 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about finding a custom way to block this in the booth from appearing on the screen until one can see the video start? I think it's cheap playing stuff on bluray in a movie theater when you could do that at home but I do understand the need for having a "back up" if the digital is on the fritz....it's a tough corner to be in.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're using the Oppo blu-ray player for matinees this year.

I have noticed that the little onscreen bug from the Oppo disappears after about two seconds. And, there is usually around two seconds of "black" at the beginning of most movies anyway. So I have a very low-tech solution --- I have a cardboard "door" on the port window. When it's time to start a Blu-Ray, I cue it up in advance, then at showtime I press Play, then the instant the bug disappears, flip open the door. It's a pain in the butt, but hey, the little kiddies deserve good showmanship too, right?

That said, it's very disappointing that they don't give this feature when their machinery is supposedly "professional" in nature and even the cheap brands have it.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2012 03:52 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Sony BDP-S380 blu-ray player in our setup.

Its OSD can be completely disabled, and it has stayed on pause (on black) for over 4 hours before now with no issues. I have a newer sony player at home, and again the OSD can be disabled and it stays on pause forever.

Perhaps Oppo isnt the way to go......as nice as they are

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2012 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

That approach works for running a single feature, however we're also using it for going through a list of files from a thumb drive, to give them a cool little "pre-show" before we run a classic film. It flashes the "Oppo Blu-ray" background and "loading" icon between every file. I suppose one could merge all the files, but when dealing with different formats and resolutions, it's just a time suck that could be used for doing something more productive, not to mention it's functionality that should be there - it's functionality a $80 media player from Western Digital has.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 05:41 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without meaning to sound like a smart-ass, why aren't you using the $80 player from Western Digital instead of the Oppo if it has the features that you need?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 06:35 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's OK Frank -- we need a good smart-ass around here; we can't expect Joe R. to be on-call 24/7. Besides, it's always better than being a dumb-ass.

And Gavin, thanks for the heads up on the Sony. Definately will be looking in to that unit. You know, I don't ask much from a player and those two issues are really not world shattering expectations from a product that they themselves call "pro." Besides, their response sounded a little to condescending to me, so come to think of it, they can go oppo themselves.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2012 07:30 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ONLY problems Iv had with the Sony is our newer model can not disable the sleep timer or the opening SONY screen. OTher than that its perfect. I still use one of the original SONY Blu-ray players. Works just the same except it has fill 5.1 out and will run every video output on ALL resolutions. Just takes a little longer to load.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newer Sonys also cannot output to both composite SD and HDMI HD at the same time. This may or may not be a problem, but it is worth noting (this is not a problem with the Oppo). Also, they are slower to load than the Oppo. If it weren't for that damn OSD issue, the Oppo would clearly be the player to buy.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2012 09:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there ANY player that can output from the HDMI and regular SD video on the market anymore?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-21-2012 10:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Strube
I got the same exact email response you did.
If a company takes the time to write a form letter it must mean that they've been asked this question enough times to warrant the writing of a form letter. A lot of people must be asking the same question.

So, then, a way to combat that would be for a lot more people to write them letters.

Just to make it interesting, attach a copy of their form letter reply to your question. Of course, they'll try to ignore it but they won't be able to ignore 100 people sending them the same thing.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-22-2012 02:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn, it's not a matter of a backup for anything; it's a matter of the studios not releasing either film prints or DCPs of their classic libraries. For art theatres this is a huge problem and it just keeps getting bigger. We cope with it the best way we can. Hell, sometimes there isn't even a BRay to play...we have play DVDs. Believe me, it's not by choice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: