Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS220 HDDD failure

Author Topic: DSS220 HDDD failure
Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2012 02:45 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I came across a certain dilemma, and I lack of knowledge to solve it.
One of our DSS220 HDD drives seems to be faulty. I have ordered a replacement already, but Dolby says that I will have to install software to get it working, which, of course will delete all content. And thats not very comfortable with us.
Our IT guys say that It really should be enough to run raid rebuild procedure. But Dolby says that it's not possible.
Can any one of you guys can enlighten me why is this so?

I have read in other topics that 3 drive raid combined with software raid is crap. But I also want to know why.

regards,

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-20-2012 05:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a single drive failure then changing the bad drive and rebuilding (the DSS200 should rebuild automatically if on version 4.x.x software) should be all that is required.

Now, if you have allowed more than one drive to fail then a full rebuild and installation will be required. I have seen cases where one had a drive that was failing and people just kept rebuilding it...then another drive failed or went corrupt...so when the other drive did its semi-regular failure...it could no longer rebuild. Oddly enough, the system kept running with one corrupt drive and one "degraded" drive. The problem is that with the corrupt drive, you can no longer rebuild any drive and you are stuck.

But if you have just the one drive down...then you can change that one and and not run an install disc. Keep an eye on the reallocated sectors numbers in the System tab...if they are creeping up (anything over 100 should be changed, one at a time). Changing a drive is cheap insurance.

[EDIT]: I didn't notice that it was a DSS220...the same rules should apply...changing one drive should not require a reinstallation. I have not had a DSS220 have a drive go down yet (too new).

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2012 06:12 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!

It's weird that Dolby said that installation is necessary in this case. But in DSS220 and CAT745 manual there is also stated that when only one drive is changed, the system will rebuild Raid automatically.
I will try and see if system boots up when drive is changed.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just went through this...2 drives failed yet the system would still run 80% of the time.
Can additional drives be added to give it a hot-spare?
--dom

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2012 03:15 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering if is not just a way to upgrade your system to 4.5.3 in stead of a previous version.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: