Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sending 3D SPLs from Cinedigm to Doremi

Author Topic: Sending 3D SPLs from Cinedigm to Doremi
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 05:27 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've just started our first 3D shows since we installed our Cinedigm TCC and the problem is that the SPLs containing 3D content are not recognised by our Doremi servers as 3D. Doremi assumes they are 2D and attempts to play them as such. Manually changing the display mode to 3D in the SPL properties sorts out the problem but how do I do this automatically? Is this a configuration issue on the Doremi side or the Cinedigm side?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-14-2012 06:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Cinedigm SPL putting in the 48fps cue? (not to be confused with the HFR stuff). All the Cinedigm TMS is going to do is place the cues in the SPL...it is up to the installer to have those cues perform the actions needed.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 06:38 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I don't see any 48fps cue there. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to get a tech to do it?

Alexandre Hurtubise
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 08:55 AM      Profile for Alexandre Hurtubise   Email Alexandre Hurtubise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Doremi, in the Macro Editor, is there a 48 FPS Macro ? If threre is, what are the cues for this macro ?

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, there isn't. And I can't see such cues in Cinedigm either. I presume I would find them on the Show Template page if indeed I were able to see them at all.

I take Steve's point that they ought to have been applied by the installer and by extension of that I presume that I lack the authority (which annoys me no end, I might add) to enable these cues. We have a tech coming in on Monday; no doubt this is what he will do then to resolve the problem.

Alexandre Hurtubise
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 07:15 PM      Profile for Alexandre Hurtubise   Email Alexandre Hurtubise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still a pretty easy issue to solve, from what we know so far. You simply have to create a macro named exactly 48_FPS in the Doremi and inside that macro create a projector cue to "Match 3D output". Then, when the LMS will send a playlist for a 3D movie, that macro will automatically be added to the playlist.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 11:49 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Alex. I did wonder what that cue did. I'll give it a shot when I'm back on site tomorrow. [Smile]

Alexandre Hurtubise
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 10:01 AM      Profile for Alexandre Hurtubise   Email Alexandre Hurtubise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Stu. Also, I would simply confirm that the LMS really knows/understands that it needs to send a 3D playlist over to the player. You could verify that by looking at the type of input macro it puts in the playlist. If you see a DCI_XYZ_something (flat or scope), then it's 2D. If you see a 3D_FLAT_1998 or 3D_SCOPE_2048 macro, then its 3D. Just a thought...

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-15-2012 11:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 48_FPS cue is an automatic one, not placed in the template. If you go to the "Schedule Viewer" module and then double click on a 3D show it will open up with what it put in the SPL. You'll see [u]cue[/u] at various points that represent where cues are placed. Click on the underlines and where you see the 3D_FLAT_1998 or like cue you will also see the 48_FPS. That means that the Cinedigm TCC DID send the 48_FPS cue but there was no macro in the Doremi server to receive it and apply it to put it into 3D mode. Note, that 48_FPS cue is JUST for Doremi servers.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks again, fellas, you've both been a great help. Will check it out tonight. [Smile]

Presumably if the TCC isn't sending that cue I could add the "Match 3D Output" cue to the Doremi 3D macro as a short term quick fix?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-15-2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is sending it...it is always sending it with a 0s offset and the actual format cue (3D_FLAT_1998) is 2-seconds offset.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 09:28 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, cool. Should be an easy fix then. [Smile]

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2012 02:51 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I've added the 48_FPS macro to Doremi and inserted the 'Match 3D output' cue and everything is now running as it should. I also confirmed that the TCC has indeed automatically inserted the 48_FPS cue into the playlist. Sweet! Thank you so much for your help (again), gentlemen. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: