Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HFR - Dolby DSS200 and Barco DP2K-32B

Author Topic: HFR - Dolby DSS200 and Barco DP2K-32B
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-13-2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Dolby DSS200 and a Barco DP2K-32B.

The projector is still 2K, with no mod's.

Can I run HFR 2D? -- I'm assuming "yes" since 3D is 48fps, but please confirm.
Can I run HFR 3D? -- ???

Let's assume I'm gearing up to play "The Hobbit."

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you need the I.M.B. from Dolby? The CAT 745. It is needed to do H.F.R. 2-D or 3-D.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny: you need an IMB to perform 3D HFR (3D@48fps for now)
your serie-II projector is ok (just have to be software upgraded).

For 2D@48fps, you can do it with your actual setting, no technical pb.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2012 01:51 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the DSS200’s specifications sheet:
quote:
JPEG 2000 maximum bit rate 250 Mbps; supported frame rates 2D at 24, 25, 30, and 48 fps, 3D at 24, 25, and 30 fps
So you should be able to run 2D 48 fps, which has always been in the DCI spec anyway.

I’ve personally only ran 25 and 30 fps so far with a DSS200 + 32B combination. Both work flawlessly, except you need to close the dowser for a second or two during speed changes if you have several fps’s in one show – otherwise you get nasty color effects on screen as the Barco re-syncs to the new speed.

Has anyone actually ever seen a 48fps 2D DCP? As we know, there is no such version of The Hobbit (the 2D versions are 24fps only).

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Dolbys DSS200 and the new CAT 745 has there been any
word when the HDSDI ports or HDMI will be activated.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 08:04 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I there was any word, I wouldn't count on Dolby to keep on it [Smile] Funny people the are.. sometimes [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-15-2012 11:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, with Dolby 4.5.3 and beyond, the 450Mbs rate is supported for the CAT 745.

24 and other rates can be mixed in the show though as others have said, you will likely see what looks like a glitch on the transition between the rates. The average patron won't think anything of it but when you see the flash or so at the top of the screen...that is the change in rates.

And yes, HFR-3D does require an IMB.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-15-2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do need to upgrade the projector. Main software package 1.9.99 or higher and ICP 4.1.1 are recommended/required. Main software 1.9.104 has a few bug fixes from .99 which don't relate to HFR (or to the most common cinema installations) from my reading of the changelog.
There's also a new ICP version coming in the next little while that should be installed in HFR systems asap once out.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-15-2012 12:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note...all DLPs should be on ICP 4.1 (and beyond) if you have 4K or you WILL have issues with 2D/3D transitions if there are are frame rates involved too (including from alternative content sources). ICP 4.0.420 was a bit a of a problem child. It was not as easy to transition from 3.2.340 (which was a good ICP version) and it wasn't the most stable, in my opinion...it seemed a bit forced in an attempt to deal with HFR. NEC even supplied a "beta" version of 4.0.425 in their 4.003 package, Christie had a patch 3.1.1.0 to step one off of 4.0.420. Barco waited to 4.1.1 (which the others are now on too).

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2012 05:16 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately ICP v4.1.1 seems to have a problem with CineCanvas subtitles when playing 4K-material (e.g. "Skyfall") on a 2K-projector. The text is projected a couple of seconds early..

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-16-2012 08:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful...thanks for the heads up. I swear you'd think that captions were the hardest thing in th world! It seems like EVERY ICP version has something to do with fixing the captions/subtitles.

3.2.340 was my last "stable" ICP version.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
24 and other rates can be mixed in the show though as others have said, you will likely see what looks like a glitch on the transition between the rates. The average patron won't think anything of it but when you see the flash or so at the top of the screen...that is the change in rates.
I’ve seen a lot of really ugly speed changes on a Barco B + DSS200 combination, mostly going from 24 fps to 25 and back.

If a clip right before a speed change ends with any sort of picture – instead of a few seconds of black ”leader” – the final frame is frozen on the screen for a full second or so with seriously psychedelic colors. The average patron will certainly notice it (I heard them snickering). The same thing happens for the first frame of the second clip, right after the speed change, unless it starts with black.

The only way I’ve found to play a speed change perfectly, without any flashes on the screen whatsoever, is to use the dowser. This is how I build a multi-fps show:
  • film clip (24 fps)
  • dowser close
  • 1 sec black (24 fps)
  • 1 sec black (25 fps)
  • dowser open
  • film clip (25 fps)
Yes, I know, it’s ridiculous. You wouldn’t think this would be that hard to fix in the ICP software, would you…?

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2012 10:38 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC sent out special 'black' clips to use before the HFR Hobbit.It's placed after your trailer pack. Without it you get an over/under image with Real-D

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: