Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Downloading dCinema Content from the Internet

Author Topic: Downloading dCinema Content from the Internet
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2012 11:57 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, we are running the Special Extended Cut LOTR Marathon today. We received an e-mail Friday from Technicolor telling us that they were not able to send out the flash drives in time that had the special introductions by Peter Jackson. So they sent us links to download them. These downloads had an average 4 to 6 hour download time (we have DSL). Needless to say I was able to download all the files in time (overnight). However - it seems that the video file for "The Two Towers" is corrupt. So, no time to re-download the file.

So, in conclusion - downloading large dCinema files over the Internet is not a good idea. Not all theatres/towns have broadband Internet capabilities. Anyone else run into this yet?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-09-2012 12:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not related to the question, but how did you book the LOTR titles? I inquired about bookng these titles for December a while ago, and was told by Warners that they were not available. Is this a special event that is sponsored by someone and is only available to some theatres?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2012 12:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wasn't it just yesterday that select AMC's held the LOTR marathon?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-09-2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Two Towers intro was corrupt and it wasn't your internet's fault. I wasted my time downloading it twice each at two sites and it wouldn't unzip. At least all of my other sites have Thingest, but still a PITA to receive notice of this at midnight before a 10am show. (Some sites were Saturday, some were Sunday.)

I can't decide which is more absurd: the distribution failure, the fact that the intro content appears to be over a year old, or that the intro content was encrypted and required keys. [thumbsdown]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-09-2012 02:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In europe, trailer distribution over the internet is common practice. Files usually have 2-5GBytes, and with typical DSL lines, that's feasible. I never came across a corrupted trailer so far.

Screens without a decent DSL or cable connection have to find other means. Usually, trailers are available here well in advance, so, e.g. staff may download it from their domestic connections and bring it to the cinema.

Some few distributors send trailers on DVD-R.

- Carsten

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What format did you run the actual features in? We ran the LOTR Extended Editions a few weeks back and were told by Roadshow, the Australian distributors, that no D-Cinema versions were available.

That suited us fine because we were able to run the first two as pristine barely-used 35mm prints, but at the last minute we were told that no print had been struck of the ROTK Extended Edition and we were left with the Blu-Ray.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-09-2012 06:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you had actual 35mm prints of the extended versions? Are you sure?

- Carsten

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2012 07:47 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

If it wasn't the extended version then not a single member of the audience noticed! (and the same goes for Fellowship of The Ring too)

Also sorry for sidetracking your topic Dennis - happily we haven't found ourselves in that situation yet apart from the organisers of a special screening who thought we could run a video introduction from YouTube...

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2012 12:21 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did run the dCinema Extended versions. However, in addition to how the PJ introductions were handled, I wasn't happy that they limited the ticket sales by only allowing one ticket (and price) for the patrons. Meaning, they couldn't buy separate tickets for individual films, they had to buy one ungodly priced ticket to see all three films. So, needlessly to say we did not sell as many tickets for this event as I had hoped we would.

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
You mean you had actual 35mm prints of the extended versions? Are you sure?

- Carsten

Are you suggesting that Jock had no way to tell the the difference between 35mm and a flash drive?

.......just wow, is all I can say.

[Frown]

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2012 04:32 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine he simply wanted to be sure it was the Extended Edition, not to challenge my film vs [dlp] identification skills!

As it was, DML sent us 35mm prints of the theatrical cuts of the second and third films by mistake. That was when we discovered they had Extended Edition prints of the first two but not the third.

quote: Dennis Benjamin
they couldn't buy separate tickets for individual films, they had to buy one ungodly priced ticket to see all three films
That's very disappointing to hear. We were able to sell tickets to individual films and offer a discount to see all three, and at our normal admission prices.

I am happy to know there's a DCP of ROTK though, it'll be better than Blu-Ray for next time.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-10-2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The extended editions of Fellowship and Towers were released on 35mm for a limited run at select theaters prior to the opening of The Return of the King. No extended edition of Return of the King exists on 35 as far as I know.

The DCP versions were released along side the Blu Ray release of the extended editions.

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2012 02:33 AM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded the Two Towers and Return of the King intros the morning of the event and they ran fine. They must have fixed it at some point.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: