Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie 3D wobbly image

Author Topic: Christie 3D wobbly image
Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2012 05:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
We have a christie Cp2210 3D projector.
I have noticed when viewing a static/paused image in 3D without glasses, that the on screen 3D Left and Right images slightly wobble against each other.
I have no idea what is causing this.
I thought it may be because the aircon was moving the screen slightly which may show a similar effect but this is not the case.

EDIT: I have noted this when activating EITHER Dolby3D or XPanD which are available on the projector.

Has anyone noticed this?
thanks
Adrian

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-07-2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the cause but just curious.

How fast does the image wobble?
Could it be because the projector is rapidly displaying the left and right fields in succession?

In other words, could this be a normal consequence of pausing an image, much the same way that pausing a VCR can show a jittery image when the interlaced odd/even fields are diaplayed?

Even though the cinema projector is a progressive display, not an interlaced one, the left and right fields could act the same way.

As I said, just a guess...

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-07-2012 08:04 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am confused here. The 2210 does not support Dolby 3D last time I checked so some information is wrong here.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The images are mostly the same, but not exactly the same (or you wouldn't get a 3D effect). I assume when paused the Projector still alternates back and forth between the left and right eye image which makes it look like the screen is wobbling.

Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wobbling / horizontal pulsing effect is strange indeed.

It has a cycle of about 1 -2 'wavers' per second and has a randomness to it.
It is definately NOT the two images being flashed in succession. If it were the two images on screen would still not horizontally waver against each other on a static frame.
IE at one point in the cycle of the 'wavering effect" the images are closer to each other, and at the other point in the cycle they are further away from each other.
It is a similar effect if we were to adjust the convergence between the eyes thus making the stereo image appear closer to the audience of further away.

A colleague just suggested that they have had a very similar situation on their christie that was caused by a external cooling fan that was oscillating the projector head. Ill look into this.

Adrian

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2012 02:26 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If using the latest solaria version you might need to go and edit 3D High Frame Rate under Advanced tab

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: