Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HFR upgrade

Author Topic: HFR upgrade
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all masters

i been 3 days in my cinema trying to make HFR 3D work [uhoh] i did the upgrade to the projector (Christie 2230) and also pimp my server that now is a doremi showvault [uhoh] .
i hear at shoeast "ITS SOO EASY TO UPGRADE, JUST CHANGE IMB AND THATS IT"
im starting to hate the hobbit [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2012 06:08 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is wrong?
We upgraded our auditoriums pretty fast, although we are still not sure if it's set up properly.. Image is kind of looking a bit odd, but at the same time its kind of okay.. Colors are.. I don't know a bit different, but not much noticeable. I've tried many different setups, and we are now using the "most convenient" settings.
Are you having trouble with settings, or software upgrades, or what?

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its so sad. tomorrow its going to be the premiere and the problem is that xpanD active system need to be upgraded.
and the dealer didnt help.
they sad at shoeast " only upgrade soft and firm and also IMB and thats it. and 2 days before premiere they finfd out that we also need xpanD upgrade.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-13-2012 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that the XpanD system is having issues...have you tried setting your 3D flash rate to 2:2 (single flash per eye but at 48Hz)? I have not set up an XpanD for HFR so I'm just a bit curious. For MasterImage, 2:2 was required. RealD and Dolby can do 4:2 (double flash).

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2012 03:55 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Xpand distribution module needs to be upgraded, not for free of course, 750 Eur if I recall correctly. Glasses and emitters are fine as they are. It was weird for me too, 'cause in Hobbit HFR FAQ and Xpand webpage it is said that all 3D equipments are already capable to work with HFR.

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2012 09:59 AM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Nerijus Marmokas
Xpand distribution module needs to be upgraded, not for free of course, 750 Eur if I recall correctly.
Strange! I guess it's depending on your provider. Numerous customers, in France, are leasing their XPanD system - so upgrade is free for them.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2012 03:52 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the technician make it work on 3D but they still saying that xpanD needs an upgrade. so what we are waching is not the complet HFR 3D image or at least is not the correct way to see it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-19-2012 04:46 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Moreno
the technician make it work on 3D but they still saying that xpanD needs an upgrade. so what we are waching is not the complet HFR 3D image or at least is not the correct way to see it.
You're just getting 31.6 FPS? [Smile]

I guess you're now doing single flash and the upgrade is necessary for double flash?

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2012 06:49 AM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Moreno
Ok, if the tech checked your synchbox and tell it's need to be changed, he is probably right.

Anyway, here are the setting to use for 3D@48fps with XPanD active settings:
Dark Time = 1100
Output delay = +250
Frame Rate = 4/2

Hope this'll help.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2012 09:00 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Oliver.
im gonna take a look and see if something get fix.
[Smile]

mike moreno
mexico

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: