Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » RED Digital Cinema server/distribution announcement.

Author Topic: RED Digital Cinema server/distribution announcement.
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2012 03:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?90306-REDRAY-ODEMAX

I think this is interesting as an alt content/ indie distribution system. I'm more interested in the home and cinema laser projectors they plan to launch Q1 2013. Red is quite an interesting company.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-05-2012 04:40 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only quad HDMI, no DCP playback capability. I'm a RED fanboy, but it's slightly bold to call it 'cinema server'.

Laser projector or not - even 'indies' need a business model.

The question of DCP and DCI has been asked in the RED forum often - but has never been answered.

- Carsten

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The player they announced does not play DCPs. At all. The Crimson projector apparently handles DCI/DCP in some fashion from current DCI compatible players but Jarred Land was pretty unclear in how that works when he answered my question about it.

But this whole thing is essentially Red's answer to all the things people hate about the current way films are distributed theatrically. Maybe it doesn't hit all those points perfectly (30% cut for theaters? Could be a tough sell!), but it does a lot of good IMO.

IP or physical delivery built in.
Key management that doesn't require the end user to do anything.
Single master video file that the player spits out into your preferred format.
Cheap!
No gatekeeping. Any content owner can put their content on the ODEMAX service and distribute it to any theater that might want to play it.

I think what will be interesting to see is whether Mr. Land's claims about major Hollywood content ending up on the service is true. Supposedly we will hear a lot more at Sundance. Red definitely has the clout on the production end of the system with the studios now, so maybe they will find a way in that other outfits haven't?

Or not [Razz]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-05-2012 06:39 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you find the information that you just posted (30% for theatres, etc.) Is it somewhere in the 96+ pages of questions and comments on that other forum, or somewhere else? Is there a summary available anywhere without having to read all 96 pages?

All I found were a series of pictures and a link to those 96 pages...

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the 96+ pages. The official ODEMAX announcement is happening during Sundance.

The breakdown was 50% content owner, 30% theater, 20% ODEMAX. Now, you and the content owner can bypass ODEMAX and directly distribute the content via HDD/Thumbdrive and make your own deal.

If you want to more quickly find the important information in the thread, look for the first post by a person with a Red colored user name and look on the right side of their post for the "Red Team" button. Each time you click that it will take you to the next post by an actual Red employee. A lot of it is technical talk about the hardware, but there is some talk about the distribution system (ODEMAX) by the guy that runs that side of it (Jon Farhat).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: