Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi DCP 2000 Series 2 incompatible with Christie Series 1 CP2000 Projectors?

Author Topic: Doremi DCP 2000 Series 2 incompatible with Christie Series 1 CP2000 Projectors?
Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2012 02:50 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I did do a forum search before asking...

I'm told the reason why we aren't installing some recently received DCP 2000s is because Series 2 serves are not compatible with our Series 1 projectors, while I was under the impression the newer DCP 2000s were compatible with any projector and any 3D system. Am I once again mistaken? Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-05-2012 06:05 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The server is compatible with the projector, but there are issues.
The server firmware in newer servers is "DCI compliant", meaning it will not work with series one projectors that are NOT compliant. The projector might be compliant, or it may require a new TI interface board (approx $3500.00) to work with a current server: it mostly depends on when it was made. Near the end of 2009 Christie started using compliant boards - but the early ones are somewhat buggy and might not work successfully with a new server (or an upgraded older server).
Once the DCI compliant firmware is installed in a server, it can not be reverted to a previous version. I've asked and been told that new servers can not be ordered with previous non-compliant firmware.
You can find the projector TI interface board version using software on a connected laptop. Christie will send you the required program and instructions if you ask. If you find that you do have a compliant board you should test Cinelink TLS, and you should check that the projector certificate is available. If it looks good you can test it with a new server and see if encrypted content plays. I would recommend not committing to a new server - or upgrading an old one to DCI compliance - until this is done. Even if it all checks out OK, the system may still fail to play SDI signals with a new server should you have a defective early TI board - they work fine with older server firmware but not so well with the compliant versions. If there's a problem you should upgrade the projector or avoid upgrading or replacing servers for now. I believe that sooner or later you will have to replace non-compliant TI boards; DCI compliance can be required (just takes a change to KDMs) and I assume it will be some day.
This is not just a Doremi or Christie thing, all DCI compliant servers have the same issue with all TI S1 projectors.
DCI is the "Digital Cinema Initiative" - a group of US movie studios that believe we are all thieves and scoundrels stealing their movies and getting rich, while they can barely afford to keep premium gas in their fleets of Rolls Royces and Jet A in their Gulfstars. They dictate what security systems are required in digital projection systems as a way to foil our larcenous instincts.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Dave. What if I have one of the touchscreens installed on the projector? And which version of the firmware is the split between the projector being DCI compliant and not?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-05-2012 05:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Doremi document describing these issues of firmware/projector combinations, it tells you which version of the Doremi software goes with which projector and what to do and not.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-06-2012 10:39 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back I see I assumed you have Christie. The other TI DMD brands are the same, they all use the same TI interface board. Same goes for them all. The software package to get the board version is a TI program and should work for any TI projector. Christie has a package including the program, instructions, and a listing of which board versions should be OK and which are not. You use the normal TI cinema board setup and update program to try and pull the certificate. Some server software/firmware versions can use TLS and switch back to Cinelink 2 if it doesn't work: the DCI compliant versions can only use TLS. If your board is not compliant you get one of a few problems if you try a DCI compliant server. Maybe encrypted DCPs don't play, giving a security error ("trusted device list checks failed" in my experience) but unencrypted ones (trailers etc) will play. Maybe you can't play any server content, the SDI inputs just don't work and you get black or slightly snowy black. Or you just see pink snow. Not anything good, regardless.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: