Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2K 10Sx

Author Topic: Barco DP2K 10Sx
Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are converting to digital and have this new projector from Barco offered like the one in link.

http://www.movingimagetech.com/product/barco-dp2k-10sx

Anything i should be aware of like reliability and is the internal server very flexible and easy to use?
Our screen is only 7.5m wide but we do aim to use other media through it like streamed operas and the like.
Has anyone used the 3D bolt on with this projector?

Many thanks in advance
Burleigh

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-22-2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is going to be way to early for anyone to give you any meaningful information on the new DLP systems considering the DP2K-10Sx isn't even available yet. If history proves anything...there are growing pains with all new products once they hit the field in any large numbers. I would not be too eager to jump on the new projectors in the first half of 2013.

Note, Barco can be bought with or without an IMB/IMS so you can pretty much have it your way (Server wise).

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-22-2012 05:28 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internal server should be reasonably flexible. I understand that it has no console, you operate it from your own PC. I would want to see one in action before assuming it will be bright enough for decent 3D on a 25' screen: probably OK with a silver screen system but I don't think it would be acceptable with Dolby (if that's even an option, I haven't heard of a Dolby wheel kit for any of the mini projectors) or any other matte screen 3D system.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2012 01:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco has done their own Dolby wheel on all of their Series 2 machines...presuming they make a suitable mask for it...it should be possible but the light is going to suck on even small screens.

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2012 08:15 AM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that still waiting for more info on its flexibility.

On a note for Courses i heard that they do a course in Belgium for Level 1 servicing. Is there any courses that can be attended by cinema staff. As we are a independant cinema the back up is not as quick as one like it to be. So if we can get trained as much as possible that would be great. Im from a technical AV broadcast background but D Cinema is all new as i have been out of the AV game for 5 yrs. A lot has happened since then.

Burleigh

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-27-2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco will, as far as I know, train anyone willing to pay the fare. I've worked with theatre staff who have taken level 1 and level 2 training. It's not cheap.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: